Author Topic: Sleep/routine questions  (Read 1231 times)

Offline TrishCams

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 04, 2006, 13:23:02 pm »
  Sleep/routine questions
« on: August 01, 2006, 09:08:04 PM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the past week I have worked to get my 4 month old daughter off using a prop to fall asleep.   ;D I am now embarking on setting up a 4 hour EASY with a consistant waketime and extending nap time.  I know that these are two big things and I am not quite sure how to go about it.  Should I tackle one thing first if so which one?  She has responded well to losing her prop to fall asleep-I have used the shh/pat method and PU/PD.  She has always slept well at night from 8weeks she was going 8-6 without a dream feed.  She has fallen into a little pattern of waking before 6 and at times she is truly hungry.  If she is waking at five do I start her day here or do I try to put her back down?  Would a dream feed at this point help her to sleep longer in the morning.  Although 6 is an OK wake time because I will be heading back to work in a month I would like her wake time to be more like 7 because I think this will help her transition into daycare.

Would love some thoughts on these matters.

:)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Sleep/routine questions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 17:53:47 pm »
I am now embarking on setting up a 4 hour EASY with a consistant waketime and extending nap time.  I know that these are two big things and I am not quite sure how to go about it.  Should I tackle one thing first if so which one? 
I think these will go hand in hand.  Once you start with a 4 hour EASY, if she wakes early from a nap, you will want to work on extending it.  What is her current routine, and how long does she currently go between feeds?

If she is waking at five do I start her day here or do I try to put her back down? Would a dream feed at this point help her to sleep longer in the morning. Although 6 is an OK wake time because I will be heading back to work in a month I would like her wake time to be more like 7 because I think this will help her transition into daycare.
Any waking before the time you want her normal wake time to be should be considered a night waking.  You would feed if truly hungry, or comfort, or use shh/pat or pu/pd to get her back to sleep.  Of course, if she were a baby sleeping until 7 am, but you wanted it to be 8 am, that might be a little unreasonable.  However, since she is waking around 5, I would treat that as a nightwaking.  Have you ever used the df?  It wouldn't hurt to try it for about 4 day- a week and see if it helps.  It might not work the first night, but try for a few days in a row.

Again, could you post your current routine?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Rubin's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 18:16:01 pm »
To help your daughter sleep later, I would suggest trying a dream feed before you go to bed at night.  Also I found that at 4 months my son was not ready for a 4 hour routine.  He didn't start 4 hour easy until 6 months.  If dream feeds are not working for you you may want to try to go back to 3 hour routine or you may want to increase the amount of food she takes at each meal.

Offline TrishCams

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 01:51:02 am »
For the two weeks I have paid close attention to extending wake and nap times.  My little one did not have the same pattern one day this week.  For the most part if she naps well she is able to come close to feeding every four hours.  If it is a shorter nap she is feeding between 3 and 3 1/2.  I kept track of yesterday's routine and it is a follows:

6:14       Wake and BF
6:40-8     Activity
8-8:15     Wind down
8:15-9:55 Nap
10-10:30  BF
10:30-12  Activity
12-12:10  Wind down
12:10-1:33 Nap
1:45-2:10  BF
2-3:30      Activity
3:30-3:50  Wind down
3:50-5       Nap
5-5:30       BF
5:30-6:50  Activity and Walk
6:50-7:20  Bath and Massage
7:20-7:40  BF
7:45         Bedtime

Woke up at 5:50 and played in crib until 6

This was her most consistent day-she had some days where she slept for 2 hrs at a nap time and others where she woke up after 30-40 mins.  I tried shh/pat and PU/PD to extend with some success on a few of her naps.  At this point my husband gives her one bottle a day(5 PM) of breast milk that I have pumped and she takes about 6 OZ.  Am I pushing her too soon into a 4 EASY or is this lack of consistency normal.  I am going to try a DF tonight and see what happens.  I think her early wakes have been to make up for the missed oz during the day. 

Thanks for you suggestions!

:)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 02:11:51 am by TrishCams »

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 01:56:36 am »
Keep in mind that every feed doesn't necessarily have to be the same amount of time apart.  If she can stretch the morning and second feeds to 4 hrs, that's fine, the rest can be 3/3.5.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007