Author Topic: More for Florencia on early waking...!  (Read 703 times)

Offline catty47

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 04, 2006, 15:18:30 pm »
Hi Florencia, it's Catherine again with the early morning wakings!

Sorry, not sure whether if I hit reply when I was the last one who posted in a thread, it's me who gets the email or everyone who posted...not up on how it all works and wasn't sure how to contact you directly!

Anyway - I  just wanted to ask a couple more questions re the early waking:

I have been putting Isla to bed earlier (quarter to 7) and she woke past 6 (that's fine by us!) for the first couple of nights, but has for the last 4 few nights been waking progressively earlier each day by 10 - 15 minutes until we had our old favourite 5.30am this morning!  I'll see what happens tomorrow morning, I'm hoping it won't go any earlier.  We left her for 15 minutes today to see if she would go back to sleep, which she didn't.  If nothing else, she is at least getting more sleep by going to bed earlier, and not having any trouble dropping off.  She normally goes straight to sleep so it's definitely working from that point of view.

Two things:
1) Does it sometimes take a while for the earlier bedtime to have an effect on them?  I'm hoping she'll start going back towards 6am or later again.
2) If she continues to wake at 5.30am, should we start leaving her progressively longer, ie 18 minutes tomorrow, 20 minutes the next day etc etc, to see what happens?

She is definitely getting molars - I felt a lovely jaggedy edge in there today when she finally let me in, and although she's handling it pretty well, it may be that it is interfering with her sleep cycles, what do you think?

Anyway, just thought I'd keep you up to date to see if you can offer any more thoughts...

x x x
Catherine

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: More for Florencia on early waking...!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 17:30:52 pm »
Hi catty! sorry it took me so long to reply, I'm usually off for the weekends. You can contact me sending a PM (private message) under my avatar there's a button that automatically directs you to the pm tool. If you want to stop receiving emails for each replay, you can go to the settings on your profile and there's a box there that you have to un-click and voila... you'll stop getting the emails. I hope i made some sense, i'm so bad at this high tech things LOL.

Regards to Isla, i'd suggest to keep the early bedtime on a consistant basis because even with the 530 am waking, she's getting more than 10.5 hrs of night sleep which seems to be the average for little active guys (like Isla seems to be). Of course you'll find plenty of toddlers who sleep 11-13 hours at night but my guess is that the same amount are around the 10 hour mark. So my rule is, if s/he's getting at least 10 straight hours and wakes happy and doesn't seem cranky during the day... well i'm afraid it's the most we can get from her. If you move forward the bedtime you might find she'll wake at 530 no matter what (some early birds seem to have a "timer" for that hour). Of course, the molars are no help here. I'd bet that she'll sleep later in the mornings once she stops teething but for that to happen you need to remain as consistant as possible with her other schedules.

If she's waking happy or even whiny but not crying for you, you can leave her be as long as she resists (be it 15-30-45 mins). The longer she can hold, the better for you, cause that way she'll learn what is the hour that she must start her day, and who knows, she can get bored and go to sleep. Some lo's chatter and play for 30 mins and to mom's surprise, go back to sleep for another 45. The less you can intervene with this, the better it's gonna be for her. Just go into ehr room if she really sounds like she needs you. IF she screams or calls out for you, you can shsh her gently or tell her "mommy's still sleeping" (that's what lazy florencia does ;) hehe) and she'll get the drill and start entertaining herself.

I hope you find some of this helpful and be sure to keep coming and check on here! Here's to late mornings for you!!!!!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake