Author Topic: Too Much Yogurt?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Too Much Yogurt?
« on: August 05, 2006, 04:20:35 am »
DD loves yogurt and I love that it has a good balance of proteins and carbs.  I also like that it has the good tummy enzymes and lots of calories!  I can also mix almost anything with it and DD will gobble it down.  So it's a very easy way for me to get her to eat her fruits and veggies which she's not usually fond of. 

But is it possible to be giving her too much yogurt?!?  There are days when she has it - at least 1/2 carton - at every meal.  It's not the entire meal, I do mix other meats, cheese, fruits, veggies, starches, etc. into her diet but yogurt is definitely a huge component.  Is this a bad thing?
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Zoey

• Children need models rather than critics.
  • Showing Appreciation 447
  • Sweet chubby cheeks
Re: Too Much Yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 04:38:36 am »
Hi!

I think... if its the whole fat kind, and not loaded with sugar then the amount you are giving is dandy.  It is SO good for them and their digestive tracts.

We give the Stoneyfeild plain whole milk yogurt and we add fruit puree or veg to it.  I tried the Yobaby thingy but they have refined sugar in them and I don't think LO needs that right now, especially since fruit puree can make it just as sweet, and adds nurishment!

Anyhow, I blabbered on and on didn't I!  HTH, just my thoughts on the subject!

Love,
Zoey

...its what you do when you get back up.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 09:37:19 am »
Caset

Calum gets 2  x 60ml tubs per day.
Lauren x

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 22:00:37 pm »
Hi Casey

I think it's fine so long as she continues to get a balanced and varied diet besides the yogurt as you say.  She may love it now but could turn 2 and decide she doesn't like it anymore so I think it's important that she loves alternatives!  I would also be careful that it doesn't put her off eating her milk and other solid foods as it's quite filling, 125ml is equivalent to 7 oz of milk.  I've just stopped giving Zander his second yogurt after his dinner as he wasn't taking his bedtime bottle well and the one night he didn't have it he guzzled his bottle and slept 12.5 hours overnight!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 19:00:24 pm »
I think we'll keep it up cuz right now it's a good crutch to getting a balanced diet in her.  (I know, AP will come back to get me some day!)  I do think that she's getting too full on the yogurt so I may cut the evening one back to a 1/2 tub so she'll take more bedtime bottle.  At least I know a good way to wean that bottle when the time comes!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 19:11:52 pm »
DD has been on 2 170g yogurts with fruit puree since she was about 9 months , that is per day. If's full fat unsweetened and disgusting ( I tasted it today with rapberry puree!). She stopped drinking milk at about 7 months and wouldn't touch cheese until about 3 months ago so for me it was a vital methond of getting both calcium and fruit into her as she wont eat fruit either, she has one after lunch and one after dinner. Also when I started her on chicken and meat puree she wouldn't eat them, but add a fruit cube and a spoon of yogurt which I removed after a few days and she was set  ;D

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 19:13:35 pm »
Aren't babies gross?!  Or perhaps they're onto something with their taste combinations.  I've lost count of the number of times I've licked my fingers during Zander's meal times only to find I'm eating something like yogurt, chicken and carrots!!
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 19:28:26 pm »
 ;D dd was eating chicken casserole with all the veg I could throw in plus apricot and yogurt.  disgusting  :'(