Author Topic: 6mo early wakings - what to do?  (Read 869 times)

Offline FiThomson

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:03:12 am »
Hello

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on what I might need to tweak to sort out the increasingly early wake up times by little one is getting into.  She is six months old and has been sleeping through 7-7 with a DF since 15 weeks and then 7-7 without a DF since about 20 weeks.  Quite often I would be waking her at 7 so I was very lucky!  However, in the last five days, she has been waking earlier and earlier - it started at 6.15 ish and is now about 5.30 ish.  She is not hungry - she just babbles and plays in her cot until I go in at 7 to get her up and feed her.  However, it means she gets tired early, before the 9am ish nap she would normally take.

Routine looks largely like this:

Wake: 5.30-6.00 but just babbles and plays
E: 7am - 7oz
A:
S: About 1hr 30 to 2hr (would normally go down at  9-9.15 but have been putting down at 8.30-8.45 as she is awake so early)
E: 11am 6oz
E: 11.45 2tsp baby rice (just in last three days since she turned six months)
A:
S: 12.45 ish for about 1hr 45
E: 3pm 7oz
A
S: catnap around 4.30 for 30-40 mins (see below -think she is starting to drop this)
A: bath at 6.45
E: 7pm 7ox
S: bed at 7.15 and goes straight to sleep

As noted above, the last week she has been less interested in catnap and will sometime only sleep for ten mintues and then be fine through to bedtime but cannot do without it all together or gets really cranky by 6pm.  She used to be awake for 2 hrs at a time and then need a nap but this seems to be stretching to 2hr 30 so I am wondering if she is getting close to not needing the catnap and this is causing her to wake earlier in the morning?  I am guessing completely so if anyone can tell me more I would be very grateful!

Thanks

Fiona

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: 6mo early wakings - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:40:06 am »
Sounds like it is time to drop the catnap, that is exactly what my ds#2 did when he was ready, wakeups got earlier & he fought the catnap. You'll probably need to delay the 2nd nap to about 1.30/2pm to get her through to bedtime
I found we had some earlier bedtimes, but actually they often meant he slept later than if I tried to stretch him out...I found making the bath longer & earlier & lots of quiet activity helped extend the time out... so say at 8.30 try just sitting cuddling & reading stories to get a bit longer out of her & then do the same in the evening if she is getting tired.
ds#1 is transitioning to 1 nap & we spend LOTS of time doing quiet things to get him through.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline FiThomson

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:50:34 am »
Thanks for your reply - I will try what you have suggested with quiet A time to stretch it out a bit and get her through the day on 2 naps