Author Topic: How do I get my 9 month old to nap in her cot?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline ErinE

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
How do I get my 9 month old to nap in her cot?
« on: August 05, 2006, 14:23:02 pm »
Hi all,

First time on this board.

Can anyone help?   lo of 9 months is used to napping in pram or car (likes motion) - accidental parenting.   She will soon outgrow her pram.

How do I put her to sleep for her nap (awake) in her cot?  Do I stay in the room with her until she settles?  Do I pay her attention?  Do I use PU/PD? Do I let her cry? Do I speak to her?

Anyone know of the method?

P.S  She uses dummy for naps and night-time.

Ta all and sending lots of love

xxxx

Offline ErinE

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: How do I get my 9 month old to nap in her cot?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 20:01:46 pm »
Thanks Stacy.  I follow EASY, so day is usually routine.  I can usually get the signals right from her when she needs to sleep.  Difficult to wind down though as she's so energetic, crawling and very spirited, but I'll try my best.  Any tips on this ???  Nap routine depends on when she wakens in the morning.

As for the dummy - weaned her off days and then cold turkey at nights for 2 weeks and still used pat/ssh method.  It was a stressful time for all  but I thought we were getting there.  Then, she became very ill and I couldn't suffer watching her so unhappy, so gave it to her (wrong of me?)  I can't face going through it again - watching her re the cold turkey etc.  Any ideas?  Sleep probs at night - sometimes can't find dummy and I need to replace it.  Should I have put this on another board?

Offline ErinE

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 20:24:47 pm »
At night-time she sometimes finds it herself (put three in her cot).  Sometimes, she doesn't and cries but I wait until she's very upset before going through to her.  I place it in her hand and then she puts it in her mouth herself and that usually settles her.  When she has wind pain though, she's up and needs comforting. 

So once prepared for daytime nap, I take her to her cot and if she doesn't want to sleep/settle, do I use PU/PD then and let her find her dummy? (I'd use the +8 months method).

Would that be the right road to take?  I just need her to go to her cot some days for her naps because settling her in her pram won't last forever!!

xx

Offline ErinE

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 14:01:08 pm »
Thanks for the advice - will give it a go.