Author Topic: Still having trouble?  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Tracy0306

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Still having trouble?
« on: August 05, 2006, 14:50:44 pm »
If you're still having trouble implementing EASY with your child maybe you should just not try so hard ! I know everyone here is a big fan of scheduling but I think some people who are having trouble getting their lo to follow such a rigid schedule may want to consider being a little more relaxed.

I just couldn't get my now 11 week old to "stick to " the routine. It seemed I was always waking her to eat. which meant of course that she wasn't hungry. I tried the dream feed but she was still waking 3 hours after that to eat anyway. It seemed the more I tried to stick to a 3 hour schedule it made her want to eat every 3 hours at night too !!

So I just decide to say the heck with it and let her take the lead. Well after 2 days she started sleeping longer stretches at night , 5 to 6 hours and after about 1 week she now only eats once in the middle of the night. She feeds about every 4 hours during the day but takes more at each feed, because she's actually hungry, and takes 2 longer naps 2-3 hours and a couple of catnaps. she goes to bed by 8-8:30 and gets up between 5:30-7. (with 1 feed in there somewhere).

I am also no longer bound to my house as we have no routine to follow I am free to go out whenever I want ;D (Which is much nicer with a toddler) She just naps on the fly and eats when she's hungry !

Anyway, just wanted other frustrated mommies to consider that maybe a strict schedule is not for every baby.

I'm not dissing Tracy's methods because there is alot of useful info in her books but 1 method doesn't always work for everyone.

Cheers

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Still having trouble?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 15:32:17 pm »
We are glad that you have found something that works for you and your dd, and we hope you continue to be a part of the BW community.  We find that most of our members have come to this site and have read Tracy's books because other methods have not worked for them.  Please remember that Tracy was not advocating a strict schedule.  Rather, she was a proponate of keeping baby on the same daily pattern of eating, activity, and then sleeping.  She still highly respected the child's needs and signs, while teaching the parent how to guide them in the most appropriate direction.  Babies thrive on structure and predictability of knowing what's coming next throughout their day.  A young baby may not show this comfort level, but it will highly pay off as they age.  It is my experience from these boards that as babies age, they cannot get the appropriate amount of sleep they need during the day while on the go, and they need to know how to fall asleep independently to be able to stay asleep and get quality rest.
The time guides suggested by Tracy in her BW books and on these boards are just that, guides.  She did not expect that babies can fit into a clock.  However, these guides are usually found to be very helpful for those who need an example of how to get started.  By reviewing sample routines with time frames, one can estimate about how much time a lo needs at different age levels for eating, playing, and sleeping.  While each baby is extremely different, they do tend to follow somewhat similar patterns at some point.
Again, thank you for your post.  We encourage you to continue BWing and following your lo's cues.  We hope, too, that you will be able to use the BW techniques to your advantage.  We will always be here to help if you need anything.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 16:25:54 pm »
Hi

That's fab you and your LO are doing so well  ;D

I chose to use EASY because it's not a strict routine, just an order of doing things which makes it easier to learn and follow your baby's cues and to help your baby to learn what comes next.  Tracy says in her books several times that you should follow your baby's cues and not watch the clock and that the 3 and 4 hour routines are average routines for guidance only.  Are you still following the Eat, Activity, Sleep order of things?  If so I'd actually say you're following EASY as it was intended!

I agree that it's great to be able to go out and for baby to sleep on the run and whilst I didn't get into a routine of doing this in the early days, since Zander became a good sleeper and since we know when he's going to want to sleep he's got much better at it.  He takes his short morning nap in the car or his pushchair very often and occasionally his long afternoon nap too, though I try to be home for that one whenever possible.  I think it's a great idea to take your LO out for one of his naps each day and the catnap is probably the best in the early days.

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Tracy0306

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 21:21:28 pm »
I agree that the EASY was likely designed as a rough guide and that you should take your baby's cues into consideration which is why I wrote the post. As I read through the other posts though, there seems to be alot of stressed out mommies because their lo has somehow done something to mess up THEIR schedule ! Heaven forbid they don't eat at exactly the same time every day or sleep for 15 min less duing one nap. It seems to throw some ladies into quite a panic. There are alot of mommies spending way too much time worrying about their routines and keeping everything on track than actually enjoying their kids.

I find I'm less stressed out now that I'm not trying to follow any routine that might not be going just right.

Having said that, we do however try to keep a consistant bedtime routine and time, as well as having baby fall asleep on her own.

Anyways, just my opinion.

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 21:47:51 pm »
Anyways, just my opinion.

You're entitled to it!  I think it's important to remember though that we're all different and what suits one mummy might not suit another but I'm pleased you've found the right thing for you.  I would also add that I follow a routine because it keeps my little boy happy and content and this allows me to enjoy him even more since he's hardly ever upset.  If we go out for the day and he doesn't eat and sleep as well as usual then he's miserable so I for one am not about to wing it!

Take care
Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 09:18:59 am »
Like Kelly
I also follow EASY because its NOT a strict routine or a schedule.  Calum is also happy and content little boy, who has been on a flexible EASY routine since birth.   I am happy in the knowledge that both DH and I were easily able to interpret his cries, moans and cues from a very early age and I feel we have a huge understanding of each other and it has brought up closer together as a family because we really enjoy our time spent together.

It is a joy to go for day outs as a family, and know when he is likely to be needing a nap or fed. It means I can account for this and be at the right place at the right time to meet his needs, rather than not knowing and having an upset little boy on my hands.  I can take him on play dates an know that half way through he won't throw a tantrum because he is tired and I haven't seen it coming.

I always feel a warm glow when passers-by comment on how happy, smiling and content he seems, thats because I never get to the stage where I don't know when he might need fed or when he might want to have a nap.

Even at 10.5months I still write Calums EASY day down in my notebook.

Lauren  ;)
Lauren x