Author Topic: Recently moved LO into own room and now wakes up at night =(  (Read 949 times)

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
Recently moved LO into own room and now wakes up at night =(
« on: August 06, 2006, 06:22:31 am »
We recently moved our LO into his own room.  He is 6 1/2 months olds.  His crib was in the sitting room part of our bedroom that was far enough from our bed to be considered a small bedroom for him.  Anyways, the first night LO slept in his own room was horrible.....he woke up a couple of times crying really bad like he had a bad dream.  He kept crying for almost 1/2 hour.  We changed his diaper and tried to comfort him but he wasn't going to go back to sleep.  So I thought maybe he was hungry so I offered him a small 4oz bottle (not sure if that was the right thing to do) and he drank the entire bottle.  But LO was still having a hard time going back to sleep.  DS has been sleeping thru the night when he was in our room but will wakeup occassionally when he loses his pacifier.  Before, I'd pat and shhh and that would be enough.  Hardly had to pick him up. Or we'd leave him in his crb and he'd roll around and fall back asleep if he woke up.  But now I'm  ??? ??? stumped as to what's going on now and not sure what to do.

This is LO second night in his new room and he's crying again (it's 2am).  He will stop crying if I pick him up and cradle him but I know that's a bad habit.  And I don't want to offer another bottle.  The bottle I offered yesterday night ruined his morning bottle (he didn't drink much of it this morning).  Any ideas what could be causing him to wakeup?  Should I ignore his cries?  He cries really badly and will cry if I put him down in his crib.  I don't want to move LO back into our room but not sure how to help him sleep thru the night again.  Could he be scared of his room?

Our schedule looks like this:
8am, 12pm, 4pm, 7pm, 11pm (DF) - EAT
10am, 2pm - SLEEP

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Recently moved LO into own room and now wakes up at night =(
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2006, 10:11:09 am »
Why is it a bad habit to comfort him by picking him up if nothing else works???? To run to a child & pick them up at every whimper is not a good plan, but honestly when they need you they need you, you can't spoil him, but you can scar him & make him afraid of his cot & room.

I think that he is probably going through a phase of adjustment to the change & that he needs your comfort, he may be teething/ at a developmental stage, starting to roll/crawl. They are reasons babies wake at night & ned comfort... jsut because a baby slept through before doesn't mean they always will.
I say comfort him by picking him up if he needs it & then when he is calm, put him down, if he gets upset you repeat... basically pu/pd
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 00:23:20 am »
Katet,
Thanks for the advice.  I haven't tried pu/pd before.  I'm rereading the chapter in the book now.  Anyways, we'll try pu/pd tonight if he wakes up again.  But should I still give him a bottle?  I read somewhere in the book (BWSAYP) that there are growth spurts that may occurr, since he took a bottle the last couple of nights, I'm guessing that he maybe going through a growth spurt, teething and adjusting to this new room.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:45:16 am »
I think you have to trust your instinct on the feeding at night, if it settles him & he goes back to sleep, then offer, but also up the calories in the day, but if he doesn't seem to settle well after it, then maybe it isn't hunger... neither of my boys really had 6mo growthspurts, but they were bf
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05