Author Topic: used to sleep at night...now every 3 hours  (Read 788 times)

Offline onemodestdiva

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
used to sleep at night...now every 3 hours
« on: August 07, 2006, 14:48:38 pm »
How old is your child? 4 1/2 months
What’s his/her daily routine? Awake at 6 S: 7:30  E: 9  S: 11-11:30  E: 12  S:1-4 E:4  Catnap 5:30-6 E: 6  Bedtime 8
What’s nap routine? typically 2 long naps and one cat nap at dinner time
How long are naps? between 1 1/2 to 3 hours
What's bedtime routine? Time?  pajama change with big sister, story time, prayers, break of 20 minutes so I can get my 2 year old to bed then final feed, swaddle and then into bed. 
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breastfeed although lately I have been supplementing 2-4 ounces per feed because I have been worried about my supply and I was wondering if she hasn't been getting enough during the day.
How much? or how long? she is only eating about 10 minutes per side if that lately
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both sides.  I don't have enough of a supply to do one side feedings.
How many wakes per night? 3  usually 11:30, 2:30, 5:30 and then sometimes she will go back to sleep until 7:30 but usually up at 6:30
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? she goes right back to sleep after she eats with no problems.
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? hmmm sometimes it is just a small fuss...very rarely does she cry but i wake up at the slightest noise.
What have you tried to settle?? up to this point I have just fed her.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? tummy time, swing, errands, playing with toddler, walks.  usually about 40 minutes.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? don't know.  I don't remember when milestones are and i guess teeth are possbile but she isn't showing much of the signs.
Have you introduced cereal?  no
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? she has a pacifier although she is showing signs of giving it up.
Do they have a lovie? no. she hasn't shown any interest.

Okay, so she used to sleep through and do 1 feeding around 2am.  I used to have her sleep in her carseat but recently gave that up because of her flat head.  I don't think this all started because of the transition, I seem to remember it being an issue before, but it has been going on for about a week and I am so sleep deprived that I don't think really well right now.  I have tried giving her extra formula for feedings and maybe I just need to change her to a 4 hour schedule but I have yet to attack that one.  If  you have any ideas I would be happy to hear them.  No need to be kind, just help me fix it.
thanks,
Alisha
Alisha

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: used to sleep at night...now every 3 hours
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 22:11:03 pm »
hi Alisha,

i think you're right - start to transition to a 4-hr EASY.  i would also recommend seeking out more professional help about the potential supply issues with breastfeeding (or at least start by posting on the bf board here).  you really shouldn't have to supplement if you are solely bf, but they have far more information and can provide better answers to your questions.  i wonder if you are not feeding long enouogh on each side, so she's not getting the hind milk (all the fat that keeps them full), but it's been too long for me. 

:)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline bangkok mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: used to sleep at night...now every 3 hours
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 07:51:25 am »
with bf she is prob only on for so long because she has become an efficient eater NOT because of low milk supply.  my dd also has dropped from 40 minutes to less than 10 and still gaining weight.  just to let you know.  please see this website:

http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

offers excellent bf advice