Author Topic: 12 MO - Help with Finger/Table Foods  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
12 MO - Help with Finger/Table Foods
« on: August 07, 2006, 16:13:44 pm »
My DD is still eating mainly purees because she is quite limited in the finger/table foods she can/will eat. So each meal is purees and liquid (straw cup) followed by finger/table foods. Snacks are finger foods. She does well with cheerios, puffs, freeze dried apple bites, wagon wheels, teething cookies, dried blueberries, grilled cheese sandwich (her favorite), pieces of chicken nugget or roasted chicken (although she's refusing chicken lately), graham crackers, goldfish, french fries and once in a great while pieces of meatball. She refuses pasta, boiled or roasted veggies, fresh fruit, etc. She will pick them up and play with them and smush them but rarely put them to her mouth. If she does she usually makes a face and spits them out.

She is definitely teething so I"m sure that doesn't help matters. She currently has 6 teeth (4 top, 2 bottom) and working on more.

I can keep giving her the purees as long as she allows but will this hamper her ever accepting the foods herself? Anything I can/should try? I put some boiled peas and carrots on her tray after lunch today. She did try one or two but spit them out and mostly just threw them on the floor.

TIA!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline gcmomma

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 12 MO - Help with Finger/Table Foods
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 20:57:35 pm »
Jsut a few more to try to see if she will eat?  My DS loves frozen blueberries (great for those teeth and really tasty) and will also scarf frozen veggies like peas and small carrots.  Just a suggestion!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 21:19:38 pm »
I keep trying frozen peas and carrots - but I"m boiling them first. Should I not be?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline gcmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 22:16:53 pm »
Nope - just give them to her frozen!  Most toddlers love small ice pieces to suck on and it soothes their gums as well.  I have a friend with a 4 year old who will still only eat peas if they are frozen!

Offline Sabine

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:10:22 am »
Hugs Marisa's Mom...I am going through the same thing here so I will be watching this post for more tips.

Sabine

Offline gcmomma

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2006, 19:39:02 pm »
oh...figured out something else you could try...discovered ds likes soup veggies...i made cream of veg/chicken homemade soup the other night and he loved all the veggies in them - maybe try something with a little sauce over them - my mom always put cheese on our veggies growing up and we ate them right up...did you try that?

Offline clh

• Showing Appreciation 226
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 19:52:43 pm »
We're kind of in the same boat.  We give DS a small jar of puree & then let him at the finger foods.  How much puree & fluids is your DD getting before you try finger foods?  Could it be she's just full & doesn't want to eat? 

The food choices seem to be what we're doing.  DS also loves pasta salad with the little shell pasta (we finally figured out he likes them whole), & baked beans went over well.  Canned (i.e. seasoned) green beans & lima beans are also good, here.  Oh, and he loves fresh banana (sliced & then quartered). 

Hope something in that helps you.

edited to add:
Cheese is also big in our world.  :)  I just tear a plain ol' slice of chees into bite-sized pieces.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 20:02:53 pm by clh »
Candice

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 21:18:55 pm »
If she likes grilled cheese maybe you could also try a quesadilla cut into small bites or homemade pizza cut into small pieces.  Have you tried scrambled eggs yet? At that age our ds was limtied in the finger foods department too.  But eventually it has gotten better, however he is still more picky than I'd like. ::)
Julie