Author Topic: Scottish holidays  (Read 2700 times)

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Scottish holidays
« on: August 07, 2006, 21:52:38 pm »
We're finally going to take the plunge and fly to see the ILs for the first time since DS was born (21 months ago). I just don't know how I am going to keep the three of us sane for a whole week. I find the time spent with my ILs quite claustrophobic as they spend a lot of time indoors watching TV. They live in !@!bernauld, a large modern town built for the car with what seems to be few public facilities. We usually escape to Glasgow for a bit of respite but that's a day's activity. That's when it's not raining/too cold

Any ideas from you Scottish Mums ? We have relatives to catch up with, but either DH has never been too fond of them or we don't know them very well. The purpose of the trip is for DS to get introduced to his relatives up North but I can see this trip ending up in disaster. The only time that I've ever relaxed in Scotland is when caravanning in Fife but that too isn't without problems too as the site facilities are limited.

Oh tell me to stop worrying in advance ! I guess we could hire a car and shoot off to Loch Lomond, at least DS could run a bit. Any ideas about local activities for toddlers ?

TIA

« Last Edit: August 07, 2006, 21:54:40 pm by charliebunny »

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: Scottish holidays
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 22:19:13 pm »
Hi Charliebunny! Are you looking for things to do in/around Glasgow or do you want to travel a bit. When are you going. I'm not that familiar with Cumbernauld but your description sounds quite accurate ::) The only bit I know is the Theatre but I've had a look and there's nothing on for children.

In Glasgow you could check out Kelvingrove Art Gallery, recently re-opened after a revamp. It is in Kelvingrove Park and near to Byres Road in the West End and the Botanics. Lots of nice little cafes, bars and shops down Byres Road. Also on the South Side, The Hidden Gardens at Tramway is a nice space for toddlers with a toy area in the cafe. Tramway is a contemporary arts venue so there is usually an exhibition to go to as well. Pollok Park on the south side has a new play area for kids which is meant to be good and the Burrell Collection which is a museum/gallery. (Can you tell I work in the arts?!)

Or you could go in the other direction and head along the M8 to Edinburgh Zoo. If you're around before the end of August the Edinburgh Festival is on. Loads to do and see for all the family and a great buzz in the city (unless of course you live there :P)

Let us know where you want to go, what sort of things you like and I'll have another think!

J
x
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 07:32:04 am »
Hey Sophie

Where did you caravan in Fife?  - that's where I live (but not in a caravan :P)
Lauren x

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 08:20:54 am »
Calum's mum: we go to Burntisland, by the mouth of the Forth - lovely quiet place !

Millie's maw: how could I have forgotten the Botanics and Edinburgh Zoo ! There is also the Sea World Centre, but Granny is sick of it by now ! Many thanks for your input - we'll definitely check those places. DS is at the stage where he's got lots of energy to burn so any area where he can run free, be around other kids and have fun whilst we can get something out of the experience too is good !

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 08:32:46 am »
Hello Sophie, I'm not too familiar with Burntisland, maybe calums mum would be as she is a bit closer than me, but I know there is a nice beach there. There are pretty good train links too I think. There is Beveridge park in Kirkcaldy, not too far by train or car, there is a bouncy castle , putting green etc there.  There are a couple of indoor adventure play areas quite nearby, can't remember the names but I'll do some research.

I can't think of anything else at the mo, will get back to you though

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 08:37:28 am »
I live in Glenrothes (originally Kirkcaldy, just along the cost from Burntisland). We are going to check out the Edinburgh festival on Thursday and take Calum on his first train ride over the Forth rail bridge  ;D

Up where I live there are lots of old historical coastal town, like Anstruther, Elie, Crail, St. Andrews (home of Golf), etc we enjoy taking the short drive up there in the summer. There is so much to see and do in my area, more things like bird sanctuaries, glider centres, nature reserves and just beautiful scenery in general. I think I take a lot of it for granted  :(

I can't wait until Calum is old enough for him to appreciate Edinburgh Zoo & the Sea Life Centre.

here is a wee link to the Visit Scotland website http://www.visitscotland.com/sightsandactivities/ (I think I will take a little look myself)
http://www.scotland-flavour.co.uk/index.html

and another to Fife info..http://www.fifedirect.org.uk/events/index.cfm?fuseaction=event.facilities

Hths's
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:38:35 am »
Hi Maisy  ;D  [waving madly] how are things in Cellardyke
Lauren x

Offline maisy

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 08:43:50 am »
Roasting!!  ;D  And busy as usual!! No dead birds recently!! which is always good! 

Hey I just realised that you don't have your name in for the Scottish meet up!! That's sneaky!  ;)

x x x x

Oh and Sophie pleeeease take  Lauren's advice and come to Anstruther, it is joined on to Cellardyke where I stay!!  It is a really lovely place with such friendly people!  ;) ;D

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:02:52 am »
what Scottish meet?
Lauren x

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 12:16:37 pm »
Oh yes, Maisy, I remember Anstruther now, especially the house covered in shells and the grass bank with a view out to the sea. Apparently, the chippie is highly rated too ! Anstruther is actually a good idea too - DS likes a good splashing in the water

You are all starting to cheer me up  8). I had visions of being cooped up inside with my toddler and my ILs but I can see possibilities now thanks to you all. Having said that, I'm still taking DS's wellies and rain cover, just in case this gorgeous weather doesn't last !

Offline maisy

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 13:21:00 pm »
Well it's raining today!!  ::)
Lee Ann,

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!