Author Topic: How much A and S time for 6 months old LO?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
How much A and S time for 6 months old LO?
« on: August 08, 2006, 05:04:14 am »
Hi,

My 6.5 month old LO has just started to stay up longer for A time (3hrs instead of 2hrs) but is still sleeping about the same S time (2hrs).  It seems like DS is going onto a 5hr EASY on his own.  When DS was 4 months, I had switched him to the 4hr EASY but now that he is 6.5 months, I'm wondering how much A and S time he should be getting without getting overtired or overstimualated.  He was overstimualated a couple of afternoons and had a very hard time going down for his naps.  DS had always gave cues when he was getting tired but now it's been hard to tell when he is tired and by the time I found out I've missed the window to put him down.

At 6.5 months, is a 5hr EASY appropriate?  And how much A and S time should LO get?

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: How much A and S time for 6 months old LO?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:01:17 pm »
From my own personal experience with Calum being able to stay awake for 3hrs between naps at 6months. The signs does are; starts to whine and moan, rubs eyes, yawns and loses co-ordination.

I found that when he was 6months he was consistently 2.5 - 3hrs between naps and I had to end up watching the clock and him and the fist sign of tiredness he was whisked off to his bed.

It is VERY difficult to tell you what a LO's A time should be at any age, as they are all different.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline summersusu

• Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 12:36:44 pm »
I am glad you asked because I was wondering the same thing.  Sometimes I wonder if I am just watching the clock or really reading his cues.  I gues I am reading his cues though because he usually goes down easy.  Then sometimes I think I am just boring him  ::) I was also wondering how much A time before the 1st nap.  My DS usually stays up between 2-2.5 hours before he goes down and sleeps anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.  Is that nap too long for am and is the activity too short for am?

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 22:17:36 pm »
my lo will be 6 months in a couple of days.  her A time is only 2 hours.  but sometimes she has a hard time going to sleep for naps so i'm wondering if i should extend wake time.  we're also still trying to wean the swaddle so i can't tell if the difficulty is with weaning or not enough A time.

how did you guys extend A time? 

Offline TJ & Stephy's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 02:30:14 am »
For us, I give my DS different things to play with or I try to get him to focus his attention on something that may keep his interest up.  Sometimes we go outside in the yard and look at the flowers, birds, etc.  Alot of times, I just talk and sing to him to keep him up.  Sometimes DS is able to stay up a little longer with no problems and sometimes he just needs to go down for his nap.  I still watch for DS cues when he is getting tired so that he doesn't get overstimulated before his nap.