Author Topic: Tips on helping a suffering child go back to sleep  (Read 786 times)

Offline Tuty

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Tips on helping a suffering child go back to sleep
« on: August 08, 2006, 17:45:45 pm »
Hi all,

My 5 month old DD was fussy all day yesterday. I assume she was gassy as she pooped only once instead of at least 2-3 times and her tongue was sticking out a lot (or she may have been in pain).

Lately she falls a sleep on her own without a pips and usually wakes up once for a feeding at different times. Last night she was a little cranky at bedtime, but a little bit of back patting helped. She woke up at around 12 at which time I fed her (bf, she wasn't eating my throughout the day so I assumed she was hungry), she didn't eat much. She woke up again at 1:30, at which time it was very hard to put her back to sleep. We tried patting first, calming, breast. Eventually I gave her tylenol and my husband patted a little more on her back and she went back to sleep (it took almost an hour). She woke up again at 4 for a feeding and went back to sleep immediately.

I definitely don't want to make it into a habbit of giving her tylenol every time I assume she's pain because she can't sleep. I would be happy to get some advice on how to help a suffering baby go back to sleep without making it into a prop (that is no boob or paci).

Thanks,
Tuty

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Tips on helping a suffering child go back to sleep
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 20:39:41 pm »
IMO if you feel that she is in pain then you should give her some pain relief.  I once said something to my ped about not wanting to just give #1 lots of tylenol and such cause he didn't have  a fever and he asked me if I wait until I have a fever before I take anything ;)