Author Topic: How much day sleep at 13 weeks?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Randy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How much day sleep at 13 weeks?
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:00:34 am »
LO is 13 weeks old and goes to bed well, after his bath and a story at 7pm.

His day sleep can be quite random and I have not managed to break the 45 minute naps - unless we are out in the pram or the car.

We have had 3 nights when he has done a 5 hour stretch after a dream feed, but they have been totally random.

I cluster feed between 5 and 7pm and he gets a 7oz bottle of EMB at 10.30/11pm.

If I could get him to go through until 5am or 5.30am (when he thinks it is time for mommy wake up and play!) it would make a huge difference in sleep for me.

I wonder if he could need more daytime sleep?  Is there a guideline of how much he should be getting?

I know babies are all different and wake for different reasons but if you could tell me anything that helped you, it would be very much appreciated!

Randy x

PS - he is exclusively breastfed and uses a dummy to settle.

Approx schedule: (very random)

Wake 5/5.30 am
A
S 6.00-7.00
E 7.00
A
S 8.30
E 10.00
A
S 10.30
A
S 12.00
E 1pm
A
S 2pm
E 4pm
A
S 4.45-5.30 approx
E 5-7pm cluster feeds
A
S 7.15pm
Dream feed 11pm
Awake at either or all of: 2am 3am 3.30am

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:24:17 am by Randy »

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: How much day sleep at 13 weeks?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 07:34:04 am »
from memory A time at that age is about 1.5 hours & day sleep about 3 x 1.5 hours + cat nap (one of my books says 5 hours day & 10 night (not including feeds in the night total)... that said, I didn't know BW when my ds#1 was little & his sleep was a MESS... I got help from a local nurse & found that while 1.5 hours of A time was good, the last 1/2 hour really had to include his wind down & he had to be asleep by if not before 1.5 hours otherwise I got a 30-45min nap... that is unless he was in the pram/car & he sometimes did longer there, which apparently is normal for a short napper.
So my suggestion would probably be to try putting him to bed after 1.25 hours awake time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: How much day sleep at 13 weeks?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 18:47:05 pm »
It's hard to say what's "normal" as each LO is so different and has different needs. My DS has always needed more sleep than average, but there are lots of LOs who need less too. In the EASY forum there are examples of routines for each age, you might check that out to get an idea of what people do.

I also think that you should be very consistent in the routine and not allow it to get too random.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o