Author Topic: 5 hours between first and second bfeed  (Read 1032 times)

Offline fionnualao

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 09, 2006, 15:37:00 pm »
i'm trying for week now to start my four and half month lo on easy. after first feed near 7am she is very tired by eight. she settles herself for nap and sleeps till 10.30 but doesnt look for food (ie cry/get agitated) till amlost twelve some days.this is  gap of 5 hours and sometimes more which throws the order of easy making it {easy..aeasy }she feeds fast  ( 10 mins)then shhowing signs of tiredness soon afterand settles herself without fussing for another two hours. (used wake  aafter45 mins but sshh/pat helped make this nap longer). the knock on effect of her short awake time after first feed and long gap bewteen feeds menas that by early evening her bed time and feeding time are the same and often she is overtired going to bed and no time for bath. any suggestions. recent routine looks like this

Breast feeding apart form 11pm feed which is 8 or 9 oz of formula
e: 6.50 am
a7.10-7.40
s.8-10.30

a.10.30-11.45
e11.45
a 12.00-12.10
s  12.30-2.30pm

a 2.30-3.30pm
e 3.35-3.50
a 3.50-4.10
s 4.30- 5.15

a 5.15- 6.50
e 7.00- 7.10/
s 7.30  dream breast feed 9.15 and bottle 240ml 11 pm

i've been doing cluster ffeed at 9. 15 and df at 11 which brings my lo to 5. trying shh pat and pu/pd to get her back to sleep. takes an hour and past5 nights. week before tried feeding her at this time she took full feed still didnt sdsettle after for over an hour. then slpet till 10 am. incase hunger waking my lo i went back to feeeding three hourly for day or tow and added  9.pm feed as quick dream feed. same week i spent week pumping after feeds to increase supply. she had been waking similiar tines each night ( habitual waking had come depemdant on dummy) so we tried ssh pat to egt her back  to sleep and now she settling herself once or twice a night but not yet at 5 am.

she is a great little baby 'textbook ' and i'd love to tweak easy so sttling her in eveing wouldnt be so hard. advice. maybe message not clear...sorry!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: 5 hours between first and second bfeed
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 18:57:52 pm »
Hi, there.  I think you're routine is fine.  It is common for some babies to have more A time before eating, and since she is still having a little more A time before going to sleep then things are fine.  The reason for an EAS pattern is to separate eating from sleeping.  The times given are for a guide, and you'll find that many people have varying routines.
One thing you might want to consider is that having a feed at 9:15 and then 11 may be breaking her sleep pattern, thus giving her a bit of trouble settling in the night.  At her age, I think 4 day feeds and a df is sufficient.  Of course, when she goes through growth spurts you'd want to add an extra feed or more time at the breast.  If you want to cluster feed, you may consider doing it earlier in the evening, say 5 and then 7 pm.
I think that as you continue practicing EASY, she'll fall into a pretty stable routine.  Seems that she's already on her way.  Congrats on the shh/pat to extend the naps.  She is doing great with her naps.  At her age, a 5 am waking is common.  If you can settle her back to sleep, that's great.  Otherwise, you can try giving a short feed to hold her over until the 1st morning feed.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline fionnualao

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 12:16:03 pm »
thank you so much for replying and for the much need encouragement. i;m happy now to go with my lo having activiity before and after feed.  :) i agree that doing a feed at 9.15 pm interupts her sleeping so last night having come to that conclusion i decided to top up with formula after the 6.15 pm feed which she took 125ml. the reason i'm topping up and was clustering is our lo wkes so much at night thats why we said we would try EASY. we thought she might be waking habitually as she woke almost every night at 4.30am and sonetimes 1.30. we used give her the dummy but when it would fall out she would squirm and wriggle and start to cry. it turned into us holding it in until she fell back asleep. we tackled that first, using four S to winfd her down during day naps without dummy. she doesnt need it now.  :)however she still wakes at least twice a night now at different times..last night 3.15 (it took 20 mins of shh/pat) then she woke at 5am (it took an our of shh.paat...as it seems like mantra cry we dont pick up, even if it turns to real cry if we pick up she fights us arching back crying more so we put her down and use shh/pat).
the waking at different times is not a new habit, going on since she was four or five weeks old (before that she just woke once for night feed and slept till 7 am). we are happy how EASy has helped us wean off dummy and extend day naps and teach our lo how to fall asleep hersefl which she does easily for day naps we dont even have to stay in room she smiles as we lay her into cot!

however our main qustion is

should we be trying to get her to sleep till 7 am (ussing shh/pat and or pu/pd) or should i feed at 5am or 6am? i'm having hard time trying to figure out is it hunger???? now and then she does sleep till 7am( rarely). i havent been consistent(two weeks ago fed atfive to see if it was hunger,she took full feed but wouldnt settle back to sleep. if she wakes at six i moslty feed her,she takes full feed,ready to start day which i dont mind but it throws routine ass she tired by 7.30, sleeps till10 and not looking for feed till 11.30 or soetimes even twelve!) i know we need to be consistent and sticvk to plan while my husband thinkns we shouldnt feed till 7 am otherwise we are reinforcing the 6 am waking time? we never rusehd in at 5 or 6 am to tlak or play, but we used give dummy which used get her back to sleep (often till eight). but then i went back to feeding at 6 am to try get some routine going(before i read about EASY_
my head is wrecked trying to figure out plan of action ( lack of sleep i guess, we atre committed to EASY but confused, we know we have confused out lo too!)

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 18:14:03 pm »
Well, you might want to post that question in the Night Wakings Forum to see what others do about early wakings at her age.  However, from what I've read around these boards, 10 hrs from bedtime to the first morning wake up is about average at her age.  You could try a very light feed (less than half a normal feed) b/c it really could be hunger, and then wake her at 7 to finish the feed, or you could continue with the shh/pat and will probably get another hour of sleep from her.  I didn't experience this with my dd, so my info only comes from what I've read from other posters.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007