Author Topic: Potted Meaballs - Gravy?  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Potted Meaballs - Gravy?
« on: August 09, 2006, 18:36:11 pm »
I make really yummy meaballs and spaghetti (if I do say so myself  :P). But DD doesn't love them because she doesn't love pasta sauce. She did really like the Swedish meatballs a couple of weeks ago at my Aunt's house - which were catered in but in a sort of brown gravy sauce and the container said Swedish meatballs.

So I want to make that for DD and see if she'll eat them because she's in a SUPER picky stage right now. I plan to make the meatballs themselves the same way (lean meat, egg, bread crumbs, garlic and onion powder) but not sure about the gravy. Would I just buy a brown gravy mix? Need something easy! Thanks
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Potted Meaballs - Gravy?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 18:59:13 pm »
See I've always cooked the meatballs in the sauce. Like when I make spaghetti and meatballs I simmer the meatballs for 2 hours in homemade tomato sauce. So I'm not sure how that would work with gravy - wouldn't have the fat to drain off.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 20:11:53 pm »
Have never browned them first... I guess I can try that way this time. Brown in any butter or oil or anything?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 20:16:47 pm »
Also - how would I freeze them when done? I can save a few in the fridge for tomorrow/Friday but would want to freeze the rest in the gravy - should I just get a bunch of small Tupperware to freeze in and put in like 2 meatballs and gravy in each?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 20:19:01 pm »
I'm thinking I will make the meatballs and brown them in a tiny bit of butter and then drain the fat and make the gravy and let it all simmer for a while? Maybe up to 2 hours like with my other style meatballs? HOpefully that will work - just need to figure out freezing/storing now... Thx again!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 20:25:27 pm »
OK but I guess I'll need to get a bunch of containers to store them seperately or two at a time, right? So I don't have to thaw them all at once?

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 14:43:28 pm »
OK but I guess I'll need to get a bunch of containers to store them seperately or two at a time, right? So I don't have to thaw them all at once?

I keep yoghurt pots for this sort of thing. Most kinds in the US seemed to have lids which was great, otherwise I tend to line up a few tubs in a freezer bag. Very useful once you are past the ice-cube tray stage. Also because otherwise I'd have to buy loads of small tupperware style containers.

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007