Author Topic: Independant play for a 15 month old  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Beata

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 24
Independant play for a 15 month old
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:25:30 am »
Is this something my dd should be doing for extended periods? It seems when it's just the 2 of us, or even DH for that matter, she just wants to play games with us most of the time. I feel guilty because I often put Boobah or Baby Einstein on the television to prepare dinner (but I guess that's another issue).

Should I encourage her to play on her own more, or does that come naturally? She does play SOMETIMES alone, but I find after a short time, she has gotten into something she should NOT be into! ::)

TIA

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Independant play for a 15 month old
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 14:26:16 pm »
I found with Katie that independent play mostly came on its own (around 16 months, she generally wanted to play with us before that) -- more when she became more mobile and was happy wandering away and coming back and checking in on me.  That being said, if you want to encourage her to play more independently, you could always busy yourself with something (folding laundry, reading) while she's in the room with you so she knows you're there and take breaks to play with her here and there.  Generally with Katie, she'll play by herself for a bit and then bring me a book or toy or something to play with her and then wander away again.  Later in the day she needs more one-on-one time, but she's always been pretty cranky later in the day.