Author Topic: Help! Long Flight & No Toys Allowed!  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Shellha

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« on: August 12, 2006, 16:22:36 pm »
We are flying to Australia from the UK with my 14wk old DS next week to visit my family and friends for the first time. I have been dreading teh flight but what with the new 'restrictions' on what can't be taken on board I am now even more stressed out at the thought of it.

24 hours without toys (or clean clothes, homeopathic medicines etc) is going to be incredibly hard not only for DS and us, but the other passengers!!!

Has anyone got any cool ideas of 'toys' that can be made from bits and pieces? I am fairly sure we can buy books and magazines once thru the intial security checks (as we aren't flying via USA) but books don't hold his interest at all! He loves his playmat, and even though we couldn't take that I was going to try and make something similar on the skycot from his toys.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted as I am at a loss of what to do with a very active, alert and spirited 14 wk old!!
Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Re: Help! Long Flight & No Toys Allowed!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 19:52:55 pm »
wow. I feel for you! The timing is awful isn't it. (though obviously understandable) I'm not totally familiar with what the restrictions are exactly but a couple of things that pop to mind... tissue paper in different colours? crinkly and bright too. Toilet paper roll, Ripping the bits of magazine and looking at the shiny pictures might work for a bit too. Can you take or buy a marker? Even a black one and then buy little cards to draw shapes on... hmmm... don't know if any of this is feasible... I will keep thinking though!
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline mumto5cuddlebugs

• Showing Appreciation 50
  • me and littlest cuddlebug
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 20:44:51 pm »
I don't know if you will be allowed but empty crisp packets (the shiny ones) make a good noise and are bright. (Need to watch when thoroughly chewed though as do begin to fall apart)
Good luck on your flight,
Kirsty
Kirsty x

Offline evelyn

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 20:47:04 pm »
are you allowed to bring a makeup compact?  mirrors are usually a good bet. Keys is another, but mostly i think at that age is his mums face!!!  
Proud mum to Alice 16/3/1999 and Lily 7/10/2005

Baby No. 3 due 20th May 2008.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 20:51:15 pm »
No clean clothes allowed ??? That is just ridiculous. We flew just the day before the whole thing happened...

I feel for you :(

We fly all the time but never that long...

Please tell us how it was

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 15:02:24 pm »
Don't know how accurate this is... but bbc news reported that you CAN take things on board but it has to be things you buy airside ie; in departures.  these things have all been screened previously.  So if this is true you could get toys/colouring stuff then.  However, not sure if this is right as it is definately contradictory to what has been reported. 

x
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline *Nicola*

• Showing Appreciation 429
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2006, 06:48:30 am »
New airport rules:  No liquid but hand luggage allowed.  50% less allowed to be carried on, but that is enough space for some baby toys  :D
Mummy to 2 beautiful kiddies. 

A baby is born from the dreams of your heart, and becomes the love of your life.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 14:29:08 pm »
Keep checking back with the airline - they seem to be changing the regulations every day.  I would talk to the folks at the ticket counter and gate too and see what they can do to help you -- after all, it's in everyone's best interests to you have your LO entertained during the flight.

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 17:49:59 pm »
Can you make up a photo album full of family and friends' faces? Close up shots if possible.

My dd loved to look at photos especially her dad and people she recognises or will be meeting.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline Harvey and Theos Mam

• Showing Appreciation 95
  • From S.Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 18:28:17 pm »
You can now take hand luggage on but still no liquids other than baby milk.

I think the hand luggage is a smaller size too, like the size of alaptop or a small rucksack. Thats what it said on the news this evening.
Rhian

Offline Shellha

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 19:32:45 pm »
Thanks everyone, great ideas!

Have been keeping abreast of all the new restrictions - for those of you wanting to know yourselves, the hand luggage allowed is 45cm(L) x 35cm (w) x 16cm (D). Just had a look at our laptop bag and it is almost exactly that size. The dimensions include all pockets/handles etc.

The most up-to-date info is on the BBC website.

Also worth noting is that Poland, France and Italy have also brought in restrictions.

Happy travelling  ;D
Lilypie2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 05:20:32 am »
I hope your flight goes well... I think my changing bag might be bigger than those dimensions but something is better than nothing. I wonder what difference the smaller size makes to security or if it is just quicker to search?

I'm so glad we'll be allowed books, toys and clothes on our flight, but of course DH will probably insist on taking the 2 laptops as hand luggage, plus his camera, iPod etc, and the dozens of undeveloped films he has, so there might not be much room left  ::)

Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007