Author Topic: late onset of lactose intolerance or something else?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 87
late onset of lactose intolerance or something else?
« on: August 13, 2006, 15:15:56 pm »
Hello, my LO has been on formula since 3 months and has had all the stage one veggies/fruits along with some of the stage 2 veggie/fruit mixes.  I have held off on meats until 8 or 9 months per the doctors suggestion.  She's done fine with all of them, although, we did the veggies first then fruits.  When she started fruits she suddenly stopped sleeping well at night, would cry in her sleep.  The doctor thinks she had a cold, but I stopped fruits for 2 weeks and then started again and she was better for about one month.

About 2 weeks ago we thought she had a stomach virus because she had a day of very wet poops.  Looked like infant breastfed poos, yellow and with "seeds".  Now for about a week she has been pooing once or twice a day, both times wet and icky, she fills the diaper.  She used to have green clay-like poop so this is very different for her.

She's not had anything new introduced to her diet, I've been waiting for her tummy to settle.  But it doesn't seem like it is.  Could this be a late lactose intolerance or maybe it really is something with the fruits and my doctor missed it?  Could it be teething still?  She just cut her two bottom teeth but it seems now that they are through they cause her more discomfort than before they came in.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  I'm going to call her doctor tomorrow during business hours.  She seems otherwise OK -- gasy, especially at night -- but OK.

Thanks,
Jill

PS -- I just did some reading on here, could barely cereal be causing this?  What is a Gluten intolerance?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 15:21:00 pm by GvackM »

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: late onset of lactose intolerance or something else?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 19:37:09 pm »
Often fructose malabsorption is the problem - and the symptoms are similar to lactose intolerance so it's easily confused. Unfortunately, most doctors aren't too familiar with it either - have you considered an allergist?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mum-of-Two

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 01:57:51 am »
Hi, thank you for replying.  We have not considered an allergist yet seeing that its only been about 2 weeks that she's had trouble, and only a full week where we have tracked it enough to know.  We're going to take her to see her doctor this week so hopefully he can help.

Thanks again!!

Offline Mum-of-Two

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 18:39:18 pm »
I'd like to post an update.

I have discontinued barely and banana from LOs diet and her stools are back to normal.  I am going to try banana again soon to see if that was the cause.  A friend of mine suggested it to me and I went back home to look at her baby food, I wasn't aware banana was included in a lot of the mix fruits.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:53:40 am »
Yes, bananas are in a lot of mixes. My DD sometimes gets "banana poops" too but if there are no other symptoms, I don't see it as a cause for concern really.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

laurennsarah

looking for fructose tolerance or malabsorption info
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 13:39:06 pm »
Often fructose malabsorption is the problem - and the symptoms are similar to lactose intolerance so it's easily confused. Unfortunately, most doctors aren't too familiar with it either - have you considered an allergist?

Do you have any more information on this topic?