Author Topic: Is it ok i do this?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Is it ok i do this?
« on: August 14, 2006, 08:24:18 am »
I have been giving DD dessert after dinner for a few months now. However due to teething she hasn't been always finishing her dinner but i still give her dessert afterwards. Is this ok,does she understand yet that she hasn't finished her dinner but i will get dessert anyway? If no when does she start to understand this?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Is it ok i do this?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 08:30:43 am »
Guess it depends on what is important in your house. I have no problem if my kids don't want to finish their main meal - it doesn't mean they don't get something else later on if they want it. As far as understanding, well I'd say she knows the routine, but that's probably it - but doubt very much that she has the same adult interpretation that you do as in "only when I finish all my main meal am I allowed to have dessert" if that makes sense? My ds at 3 would understand this concept, but not my 16mth old.

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 09:25:06 am »
I think you're fine to do this at the moment - as they get older you can start to use desert as a 'lever' to get the veggies finished! But I would always make sure in these instances it was something like yoghurt or fruit, rather than a 'treat' pudding. My DD would never get anything other than that unless she had finished/really had a good go at her main course.
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline jayne

• Showing Appreciation 184
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 10:30:14 am »
i am not a big "clean plate" person-- as long as they have eaten some.. my dad used to say "make sure you save room for desert" so i kind of keep that mentally.. as long as i feel they are eating healthy throughout the day--getting enough fruits, veggies and protein --then its okay with me-- we as adults struggle with portion size.. i feel teaching them to trust their bodies is a good lesson.

if after dinner and desert they still  want snacks then they have fruit,yougurt,cheese,apples and peanut butter or something healthy-- it works for them it works for me :)
jayne

dd#1  05-14-2001
dd#2  08-06-2004

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 16:18:25 pm »
The only time I don't let E have dessert is if he doesn't eay ANY of his dinner.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:02:42 am »
The only time I don't let E have dessert is if he doesn't eay ANY of his dinner.
Yes i agree with this thank goodness (touch wood) this hasn't happened yet.

Thank everyone for your imput it has put my mind at rest.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 20:59:50 pm »
When Ryan had bad reflux flare ups and went on food strike the only way to get him to eat was by giving him dessert first .I think it was mainly down to the yogurt being cold and it soothed his throat , he would actually eat all his dinner after .We then started to give a spoon of dessert and then a spoon of dinner .Also sometimes when he did have dinner first and didn't eat it all and dessert after he would go back to his dinner , we would leave it on his tray .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .