Author Topic: W2S Nightmare!!  (Read 1806 times)

Offline GKirk

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
W2S Nightmare!!
« on: August 14, 2006, 13:36:30 pm »
Hi-

my lo is 4mo and he is a habitual night waker at 3am every single night.. well i tried tracys w2s and i set my alarm for 2 am.. woke up i just stroked his face a little bit and put his paci in his mouth.. well at about 245 he woke up and was flipping out for about an hour.. i had to pick him up and bounce him  to sleep !! It was completely awful.. he wasnt crying out of hunger because he was more like fussing and then crying and everytime i gave him his paci he would spit it out, it was terrible!!  Also at 7 this morning he didnt even take a full feed, he only at 5.5 oz out of 8! Could someone please give me some advice? He is still sleeping in our room because sometimes when he wakes at night he fusses for a few minutes and spits his paci out (nothign like last night though) and i really want him to sleep in his own room i just dont want to go in there and have to sit there at 3am !

This is his routine

E 7
A (usually walk and get dressed nothing too stimulating)
S 9 - 1030/1115
E 11ish (bottle & 1tbsp solids)
A (this is usually when we go to the store or do any errands)
S 1 - 2
E 230/300
A
S 415 - 5
E 615 ( half of bottle and 1tbsp solids)
Bathtime 630
Eats rest of bottle by 645 and in bed by 7pm

Offline motherof3

• Andrea, Paul, Jackie, Payton and Abby
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: W2S Nightmare!!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 15:36:16 pm »
I am in the same shoes.  My dd is also 4 months and was sleeping through the night until about 2wks. ago.  She started waking up b/w 4-5am every night.  Sometimes I think she rolls over(she sleeps on her stomach) and wakes up b/c she can't get back to her stomach.  Most of the times when she wakes she isn't crying and when I go into her room she smiles at me like it's morning  ::).  I usually try to roll her back over and give her thumb (she's thumb sucker).  On occasion this works but most of the time I feed her and she takes 6.5 oz.  So, I never know if this is a habit, waking, or if she is hungry?  I have tried PU/PD but my patience is lacking at that time of the morning  :(.  I have never tried W2s and I am considering a DF.  I know she probably doesn't need the DF to sleep through the night b/c I have never given her one and she was sleeping through the night.

You might want to try letting him sleep in his own room.  Abby could never share a room with us b/c we would end up waking her up.  You might want to try it for a couple of nights and see if it makes a difference.
Jackie 3/10/01
Payton 9/23/03

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 20:06:21 pm »
Yes I am going to put him in his crib tonight and if he freaks out at 3am i will just bring him to our room... He has no problem sleeping in his crib, he takes naps in it now and then so i dont think that should be an issue.. He does take a DF at 1030/1100 but wont take any more than 4 oz.. usually less.. i think that he is teething he isnot eating as good during the day either...... :-\

Offline Anniemoo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 23:03:11 pm »
Annie went from sleeping through the night in an almost unheard of 12h stretch at 12 weeks, which lasted about 6 weeks - teeth started coming down and she's been a problem sleeper ever since! We have a 3am wake for about 1-1.5 hours at the moment too, and I have moved her cot back into our room. I have no advice because 3 months later, persistant p/u - p/d and wake to sleep attempts for the last 6 weeks we can't shake the problem. I sympathise though - wholeheartedly! It's rotten! Am so much more tired than I was when she was born - best of luck

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 14:30:10 pm »
I put the paci in his mouth for w2s.. I just touched his face a little bit and he started to stir so i popped it in his mouth and he was fine... but then the freak out started like 45 minutes later.

Sometimes he takes the paci at bedtime, sometimes he does not.. I do not give it to him after the dream feed either, I am not sure why he spits it out, but he does spit it out as soon as he falls to sleep... I just started giving him solids, he takes them at 11am and at dinnertime..
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 14:32:18 pm by GKirk »

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 14:36:47 pm »
I think you'll find the cause of the freakout is the paci. Next time don't give it to him. When he looses it he'll wake again and then its pointless. Add to that solids at 4 months is to early, his little tummy isn't ready for that, cut the solids and avoid the paci and see if that helps you.
Kimberly

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 17:37:28 pm »
Ok I will try without the paci next time.. he is in his own crib now.. he is doing a bit better but still habit waking at 3 am every night.. also he is on solids b/c he was eating about 34oz of formula a day and not being completely satisfied.. he is 4 1/2 mo and we saw pedi a couple of days ago who said it was ok because of his size and appetite (he is 26in 15.5lbs).. do you still think its a bad idea?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 21:26:11 pm »
We started my DS on solids as well at 4.5 months at the doc's instruction. He was just under 20 lbs then and he was more than ready, plus it helped with the reflux. We started with very little portions though and very slowly worked our way up since his system needed to adjust. I would suggest doing the solids in the morning only, at breakfast time, and definitely not doing it in the evening. It can cause gas and stomach upset and therefore affect night sleep.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 06:29:07 am »
Reading this thread out of interest as i am about to try w2s with my lo who wakes at 2am every morning out of habit.  Just wondered if you had tried again and did it work?
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 23:51:23 pm »
I have yet to try it again .. I am going to give it a few days ;)

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 07:51:34 am »
Thanks for replying.  We tried it last night and it was ok but think we will need to do a couple more times to get results.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2006, 12:58:08 pm »
Hi-

I havent tried it again yet, but last night he slept until 430am instead of 3 am i am wondering if this is going to mean that he is getting rid of his habit? because this is the first time that he has slept thru until 430...but i need to find out how to get him to self soothe because he was restless this morning and he wouldnt fall back into a deep sleep..?

Offline Fenella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2006, 14:34:09 pm »
Sounds familiar very difficult for my ds to fall back to sleep after 4am.  I hope it happens again for you.  It will give me hope that we won't be like this forever.
Mum to Jack 16.09.03
Mum to Luke 20.06.06

Offline GKirk

• Showing Appreciation 3
  • Carver, Ma, USA
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 13:03:43 pm »
OK!! So I am crossing my fingers that this trend keeps up!! Last night my ds slept all the way thru until 530am.. i tried to see if he would settle himself back to sleep but he ended up crying :-\ BUT i only had to go into his room twice to give him his paci and he fell back asleep until 620 so i did it one more time and got him to sleep until 645!! It was a miracle!! I usually am in and out of his room 10 times b/c he spits his paci out! And I think maybe the 3am habit is going away I am so excited!! ;D But I am crossing my fingers that this trend doesnt stop.. that would be just my luck!

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 16:16:53 pm »
YAY!!!
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o