Author Topic: What to do about night feeds?  (Read 9084 times)

Offline CLJK

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2006, 23:33:59 pm »
Hi Deborah -

Hooray!!!  I'm so happy to hear your news!  I think consistency really is the key for re-settling at night.  We don't really have a limit on how long it takes, so much as I don't go in any earlier than, say, 2:30, because that's the earliest I feel he ever wakes for food (at least I think).  Keep it up!  I remember reading somewhere (maybe it was BW, I don't recall) that after about 3 days things become a habit for babies.  So it would stand to reason it would take about 3 days to break the habit and three days to establish a new one - about a week.  We just never seem to have that week these days b/c DH's schedule has been really hectic and I feel bad sending him in there at all hours of the night when he has to be out the door at 6 am for an early meeting, etc.  He will definitely do it, but I guess I still feel a little guilty.

The other night I did a big oops.  I heard the baby, got up to feed him, thinking it was 2:30.  After a few minutes of nursing him I realized it was only 12:30!!  Ooops!  Nice way to reinforce bad habits!  Then he was up again at about 5:00 to nurse and he usually goes back to sleep until about 7 then.  That 5:00 feeding is my own self-preservation, I know, so I can go back and get a little sleep and not deal with a tired baby all morning!!

Last night he barely nursed at all before bed, so I went in at 9:30 and did a little dream feed.  He ate a lot and went back to sleep, skipping the 10:30 and 12:30 wake up - yea!.  He was up at 3:30 and again at 5:30.  Tonight DH and DS are on their first camping adventure, so I will be home alone all night and I am fearing lots of wake ups.  I am so confident that he really just wants a boob to help him get back to sleep.  He may be a little hungry, but it's habit hungry, not nutritional hunger.  I think we just need to be consistent and have DH put him back to sleep.  I guess I fear the work and time and effort it will take, but it takes a lot of work and time and effort (for me!) to be up twice a night still!  And trust me, it only gets harder with two kids!!  I am so jealous of all of those moms whose babies started sleeping through at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, etc.  I know a lot of friends whose babies sleep through are bottle-feeders and I think that may have something to do with it - not worth getting up for a bottle vs. bf!!

Great news and keep up the good work!!  You will inspire me to stick with it (well, after tonight anyway!)

-Cass

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2006, 02:38:08 am »
Hi Deborah -

Just wanted to find out how things are going with you.  Things have improved for us a bit.  Now DS is usually wakes once around 10:30 but has been going back to sleep after we leave him for a few minutes to "fuss" it out and then wakes around 3 to eat.  Unfortunately then he wakes around 5:45 or 6:00 for the day  :o but at least he is starting to be a little more consistent.  I think it's because we are being a little more consistent with how we treat the night wakings.  Tonight I am going to try a W2S to see if I can push back that 3am feed if he is just waking out of habit.

I hope things are progressing for you!

-Cass

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
Re: What to do about night feeds?
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2006, 17:10:08 pm »
Hi Cass,
was thinking of pming you, but forgot how......am glad to hear things are getting better over there.
 For about 1 week, we have stuck with my husband going in for wakings before 2am. Most nights my son has woken anywhere from 2:30am-4am, lucky husband! His feeds are pretty short---usually about 6min (1/2 of a usual day feed) So that is good. He is also eating much better during the day.

I wanted to also discuss solids with you. How are things going on that front? Being a first time mom, I find all of the info on solids very confusing. I am thinking of starting protein foods in the next week or so. Maybe some chicken and apple? or tofu? or yogourt? Have you started any of these? Would you mind sharing your feeding routine with me, what, how much, and when?
How old is your son?
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline M and N's Mom

• Sari - Mom to 2 Spirited Kids!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • They're growing up so fast!
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2006, 19:57:33 pm »

I would love to push that first night feed later----but I'm not sure how?????  It seems to be getting earlier?????  first it was 12:30, and then 12:15, 12:00, last night 11:50pm

This sounds like my DS...at 3-4 months he was making it to 3:00 or 4:00 am....now he is usually up between 11:00 and 12:00.  He does take a full feed at that time, it is the second one that isn't a full feed for him.  Was your DS taking a full feed at the first one?  I'd like to push it later too somehow, but don't know how.

Offline debo620

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 21:25:57 pm »
Hi M and N's mom,

okay---so my son has been taking two feeds at night since four months old and eating poorly during the day. He is a big boy-18lbs or more.  Anyway, decided with the advice of CJLK (read back) to send my husband in to settle for any night wakings before 2:30am. It did help that he was on holidays this week.  My son had gotten used to eating any time frommidnight on---so breaking this habit was a bit hard. It took my husband 20min to settle my son the first night. After 2 nights, my son did not wake until 4am for a feed. Now, I will not feed before 2:30am. Our day usually startes anywhere between 6 and 6:30am and thus we are down to 1 night feed.

HTH
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2006, 21:30:38 pm »
Quote (selected)
to send my husband in to settle for any night wakings before 2:30am

This is a really good call especially if you breast feed. 

glad to hear you are making progress ;D

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2006, 21:42:46 pm »
My DH and I split the night every night - he's "on duty" from bedtime until 2:30am, and then I am from 2:30 until waking. It works great for us.  ;D
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2006, 23:28:24 pm »
Hi -

Like I said before, I think having your DH do the settling in the early part of the night is the key.  First, it helps your LO to figure out that "Daddy can help me get back to sleep, too!" and that no milk will be coming at that time!  We all think that they must be hungry (or that it is quicker to get them back to sleep with a quick nurse), but then they get used to getting back to sleep with a feed and/or get used to getting some calories at that time, so we actually make them hungry.  It only took about 2-3 nights of us being consistent to get my LO back to eating only once a night. 

I waited until the weekend in case there is a big botch in my plan (!!) but tonight I am going to try W2S at about 2am since he has been waking around 3 to eat for the past few nights.  He never responded to it well for naps, but does well with it during the nighttime.  I figure that if I can break his habit and get him to start waking to eat even 30 minutes later, then we can keep progressing to eventually wipe out the night feeds.  If this doesn't work after a few days then I think I might try the dreamfeed.  I never did that regularly because, frankly, it didn't seem to do anything, but my thought is I could do a dream feed to see if he can go the rest of the night and then start making the dream feed slowly earlier and earlier until it is wiped out.  I have no problem letting the little guy fuss and complain to get himself back to sleep, but I don't want to make him cry because he is hungry and I am not responding.  Frankly, one feed a night isn't that bad!  But I know it gets harder to break these habits as new milestones hit, such as crawling and pulling up - then they get really loud and angry when you don't come in!

Deborah, as far as solids, my little guy loves them!  He is a great eater.  With DS #1, I tended to follow the information sheet my pediatrician gave me for introducing new foods, but I guess she figured I knew what I was doing this time and didn't give me that sheet at his 6 month visit.  I now tend to follow the schedule in "Super Baby Foods," a book about making your own baby food.  I make about 80% of his food myself (I did with DS #1, too), especially fruits, sweet potatoes, butternut squash.  I tried lentils a few weeks ago and it was really easy (cook lentils until very tender, puree, and then push through a sieve to get out the tougher skins, leaving you with a liquidy lentil puree - I add to veggies or apples mixed with cereal and he loves it)!  Here are all the foods we have tried:  avocado, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, apples, nectarines, peaches, pears, apricots, plums, lentils, garbanzo beans, zucchini, green beans, tofu, and most recently, yogurt.  Oh, and Cheerios - his favorite!  I've also done several cerals.  I tend to mix them with most or all of his food purees for fiber and iron.  Tofu is really great.  You can make it into small cubes for finger food or mash it into your other purees.  My 3 YO still eats tofu.  We are vegetarian, so I can't answer as to when to give meat, but I will give you this advice:  introduce as many new foods as you can over his first year as after they turn 1 they tend to get a little pickier.  The more foods that are in his "repetoire," the more you will be able to give him as he grows older.  My oldest is a great eater and although a lot of it is personality and temperment, I think we did a good job of exposing him to a variety of nutritious foods.  Oh, and also, avoid giving juice if you can.  DS#1 loves the occassional drink box, but from the beginning we only gave him water in between meals and milk at meals and that was the end of the story.  No whining for juice during the day - I didn't want to creat a juice junky and he definitely is not.  I'd rather him eat his calories than drink them.

Anway, feel free to ask any other questions.

Good luck to all and cross your fingers for me for tonight's W2S!!

Cass

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2006, 16:50:36 pm »
<<Happy Dance, Happy Dance>>!!!

Hooray!  I did W2S at about 2 am last night and DS slept through until a little after 5am!! He's only done that one other time, about 2 months ago!  Then I nursed him (he did eat quite a bit) and, even better, he went back to sleep until 7:30 (often he wakes around this time and won't go back to sleep)!!!  Now I know that this may not happen again tonight, or the next night, or even the next night - but it certainly gives me some hope!  I guess I will keep with the W2S for the next few nights and hope that I can break him of the 3am feeding.  If he settles into a 5am feeding, then I will try to do W2S for that then, too.  Yippee!  Oh, and by the way, he did his usual wake and cry at about 11:30, for which we have decided to wait 3 minutes before going in.  He started off complaining, then went to a full on cry for about 20 seconds, started fussing again, and just as DH was getting out of bed, LO fell asleep on his own, not to be heard from until 5am!  It's nice to feel like we might finally be making some progress with him!!!

-Cass

Offline debo620

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2006, 22:29:45 pm »
Wow Cass, glad to hear your good news. I think my ds is still needing that 1 night feed and as of now--the time is a bit varying. I am going to focus on introducing some protein solids and then look at weaning that night feed. My son also seems to be waking for the day at 6am--which is a bit frustrating, but I am a bit used to it--since he did this from 3months old until 5months old. For the last month he was sleeping until 6:30am-7am---but now that is out the window.  :(
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2006, 23:21:56 pm »
I'm sorry, Deborah, I forgot to give you our eating routine.  I try to give him solids around the same time every day, but it's nearly impossible as some days he wakes early, somes days he has 30 minute naps vs. 90 minute naps, etc.  But he does breakfast (around 7-7:30), lunch (anywhere from 11:30 - 1:30) and dinner at around 5:30.  I try to leave enough time (at least an hour) between dinner and his nighttime nurse, otherwise he won't nurse that well.  I tend to give him oatmeal mixed wtih fruit for breakfast (I think he's taking about 1/3 - 1/2 of a cup??) plus cheerios.  For lunch I do a veggie or a fruit, sometimes mixed with a cereal and give him some small pieces of fruit or tofu.  Dinner is a veggie plus maybe lentils or tofu + cheerios.  I am trying to add less of the commercial cereal as I think between all of that plus the cheerios he is getting a little too much iron.  I am having a hard time getting him to take water out of a sippy cup, I guess b/c he never took a bottle and can't figure out what the heck he is supposed to do with this contraption with a spout!  I am probably going to start giving him some well-cooked carrots for finger food, soon.  I also was thinking about rice pasta.  I don't want to introduce wheat too soon as some gluten allergies run in the family, but pasta is such a great finger food.

Incidentally, DS#1 was always an earlier riser until about age 2 1/2 when he started taking shorter afternoon naps and started sleeping until 7am.  Now he is up much earllier as he is potty trained at night and needs to get up to make a pee pee pretty early!

HTH!!!

Offline debo620

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2006, 23:54:08 pm »
Hi Cass, yes two seperate posts from me on seperate threads!

Wanted to ask you how w2sleep was working for that last night feed????
My son seems to be waking fairly consistently around 2am, if this continues I am going to try w2sleep. If the the time varies---I am going to decrease the minutes (we're at 7min right now)--and then once it gets to 4min or so----will be sending DH in. I thought if I decreased the mins-----he hopefully will eat more during the day and then sending my DH in won't be so bad.

My son also took some BOTTLED ebm today---so I might explore this option. I really wish my boobs had a guage that indicated how many ounces he had taken each feed.  I find it so frustrating this whole balancing out solids and milk. I always wonder how much breastmilk he is drinking!!!!
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline CLJK

• Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2006, 16:43:55 pm »
Hi Deborah --

I think the W2S helped.  I did it when he was consisitently waking around 2:45, and that seemed to push him to about 3:15/3:30.  I stuck with that for a few days and, lo and behold, he started going until 4:15 on his own for about 2 days.  Then it was 4:45 for the past few days.  Last night he was up at about 3:15 and I thought no way am I going to backtrack here, so I gave him about 10 minutes to fuss.  I know he is still working on tooth #6, so I thought I would wait to see if he needed some motrin or something.  He didn't settle on his own, so I went in and picked him up (he was sort of stuck in a funny position on his tummy) and he settled right down.  I thought for sure he would want to nurse, but he didn't.  He cried for about 10 seconds when I put him down and that was the last I heard from him until 5:45!!!!  Yea!!  He nursed at 7pm and when almost 11 hours!  And then he was awake for about 10 minutes and went back to sleep until about 7:00.  So, anyway, I do think the W2S helped.  I think I did it for 3 days to make sure it would "stick," and he seems to be doing the rest on his own.  I am certain the reason he didn't wake until 5:45 this morning was because of his own 3:15 wake up, but maybe it will be enough to knock him out of the 4:45 time slot he seems to have created and to keep moving it later and later.  My older son did it the same way - his night feedings just kept getting later and later until they were gone.  Definitely a lot less stressful than listening to the crying and doing pu/pd.

As far as the ebm, I have no idea how much Gannon is taking now, but I know my older son at this age would take anywhere from 6-8 oz. for his bottle when he got one.  So he ate about 4 times a day with 8 oz bottles - he was a pretty big eater.  If you are talking about a night feed, I would start with 5-6 oz. and then maybe try to do the water-it-down trick.  Send DH in with the bottle so it is far less appealing (no offense to your DH!) than nursing with mom for 15 minutes every night.  And then you can get a little more sleep!

Good job on the bottle!  I basically have given up in hopes that he will go straight to the sippy cup.  He will take a bit of water from it, but not a lot.

Good luck with W2S!  I think you should try it tonight in case it goes badly - at least you have the weekend to have DH help!

-Cass

Offline debo620

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 21:35:52 pm »
Thanks Cass, I have not tried w2sleep yet----I am a bit scared. Partially because I will have to start leaving his door slightly open at bedtime so that I can sneak in!  Last night, ds woke at 1:15am--sent DH in and my son would settle for 10min and then start up again. Finally fed him at 2:10am. I hate that b/c he loses so much sleep!

Do you allow for a full feed at 4:45am ? Does he then take a full feed at wake-up time?
Deborah,
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2006, 23:45:37 pm »
Hi Deb,
I took the advice on letting my husband go in and settle my lo and it is working well. We have completely dropped the night feed so she has not gotten a feed in the night for about five nights. On the second night she actually slept through till 7. I did W2S at 2 because she always gets up at 3. It worked!! some nights she is hard to settle but I refuse to feed her anymore, she is a bit older then your lo so I just said enoughs , enough. I was always jumping up at the first cry but now I let her fuss/mantra cry intill she either goes to sleep or starts to really cry. I posted on other threads and said I was doing gentler form of CIO, but that got a lot of negative feedback. Call it whatever you want but for us it is working. I just had to learn that it was OK for her to fuss/cry for a bit. Now before everyone starts  in on me about CIO not being good, I just want to say I always go to her if she is really crying. I was never letting her cry at all before running into feed her.At the first peep I was in the room with a bottle in my hand. So for me any amount of crying I consider CIO. Anyway I just thought I would post to let you know there's hope.Good luck.
Kim