Author Topic: Started waking up after 45 mins  (Read 1080 times)

Offline SallyDom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Started waking up after 45 mins
« on: August 13, 2006, 21:06:00 pm »
Hi everyone,
I have a 19 week old little boy and since reading BW at 10 weeks has got really good at sleeping (pat shush saved my life!) and can now sleep independently nearly all of the time, I just give him a kiss and a cuddle and he lays and falls asleep in his cot quite happily.

The last 5 nights he has started waking after 45 minutes of going to bed at night and really crying. He doesn't start to stir and then cry it is instant crying. He cries so much it sounds like he can hardly catch his breath. The first night I waited a minute and he did go back to sleep but since then he hasn't, so I've gone in to settle him again. I am sort of morphing from the pat/shush to pu/pd as suddenly the p/s seemed not to work so much, but I have tried to sooth him by saying long slow shushes and if that doesn't work I pick him up until he is calm and then put him down. A couple of nights I have had to pu/pd two or three times before he has gone back to sleep.

Does anyone know of any reason why he would suddenly start waking up? At what age might they start to think if I give a cry my mum might come and get me!?! I wouldn't of thought it was this young, although we were watching a film when he woke up last night so my husband said 'why don't we bring him down and he can fall asleep in our arms whilst we carry on watching'  I was like 'NOOOO, that what he wants' but then felt bad for thinking such thoughts of our gorgeous little boy.

Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated
Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: Started waking up after 45 mins
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 20:31:28 pm »
i can think of 2 possibilities,

* the amount of day sleep has suddenly changed?  coudl be overtiredness (sounds a lot like it, actually)

* could be developmental - either he just started doing something new, or he's about to. 

either way, with a shriek like that, you are right in responsing to him.  he's old enough that pat/shh may not work anymore.  and if not, time to go to pu/pd. 

HTH a little :)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
Re: Started waking up after 45 mins
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 07:04:53 am »
Thanks a lot, I'll try and keep an eye on his amount of awake time before bedtime to see if it is overtiredness. He didn't actually do it last night so maybe was just going through a stage.

Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07