Author Topic: 7 month old not drinking  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Elisabeths mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 15, 2006, 23:11:11 pm »
Hello, my darlimng daughter is 7 months and 5 days old and I am quite concerned about her formula intake.  She is only taking in 15 ounces.  Here is our routine.

9am- 6 0z bottle (drinks only 4 0z's then I use the rest in her cereal with fruit)

1pm- 6 oz bottle (drinks only 3 oz's and that is a fight, 2tbsp's meat and veggies, 2tbsps fruit)

4pm- snack (Try to offer the remainding 3oz's from lunch in a sippy cup, might take a mouthful and that is it, fruit and either cheerios or baby mum mum crackers)

6pm-6 0z bottle (drinks 3 oz's and the rest goes into her cereal, sometime some fruit)

10pm, I keep trying the dreamfeed hoping she will take more, but she drinks an oz or two turns her head away and goes back to sleep)

I worry about her formuls intake i have tried cutting back on her solids but that does not  help and she only wants more.  she tries to reach for our own dinner as well and has no interest in fluids.  Does anyone have advice.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: 7 month old not drinking
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 20:49:23 pm »
Hi,

I went through exactly the same thing with DS around that age - if not a bit earlier.

He went on a bottle strike that lasted about 5 days, where he would not touch a bottle.  I was very concerned too, and contacted my HV, where they said that I could not force him and that he would drink it in his own time.

I realised that he was refusing his bottles due to the fact that he was teething and his gums were sore. 

Do you think your lo could be teething?  If you think this could be the problem - try rubbing some teething gel on her gums a few minutes before her bottle and see if this helps.

Did you lo used to take in good amounts of formula before?  If so how long has this been that she is taking such a small amount of formula?  Has your rouine changed at all since before this started happening?

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline BabyE'sMama

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • My Little Butterfly!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 02:55:08 am »
My LO did the same thing at 6 months too!  She eventually came back on track eventhough her intake is and always has been 25-28oz/day.  I know it was due to teething so I just gave her what she wanted.  The funny thing is that a month later she's fussier about her solids.  Things she would always eat she now refuses.  I guess we all have a lot of transitions to look forward to.

When my LO was refusing bottles I tried sippy cups with formula.  She didin't really like that idea but loved a regular plastic cup.  She's still working on it but I know she gets some down. 

Good luck, You are not alone!

Margie
Margie
Proud Army Wife and New Mother to
Elizabeth Grace

Offline joss's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 15:22:20 pm »
Hi,
My daughter Joss is about to turn 10 months and for the last few days has been screaming blue murder when she is offered a bottle.  She was drinking anywhere between 2 sips and 2oz before screaming, but since yesterday afternoon she has refused to touch it. she had a small amount out of her cup that i use for water but nothing to shout about!  My health visitor reckons its not a bad thing to get her off the bottle but i amd concerned as I am sure its a scream of pain.  Have tried all different cups and different tenperatures of formula - even cows milk! But shes not up for it.  Hadnt considered teething pain but now I'm wondering if thats what it might be.  Pulling my hair out and need some advice!!  She was drinking 3 x 80z in a day - mid morning, mid afternoon and bedtime.
Lucy.

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 15:59:55 pm »
It definitely does sound like teething pain.

Have you tried rubbing some teething gel on her teeth before a feeding?

Offline joss's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 16:50:23 pm »
not yet, but I have just put some on now as I am going to give her tea in a few minutes.  At lunch time today she even creid at solids.  I will try with the gel before bedtime bottle as well and fingers crossed it works!
Thanks.  Will let you know!
Lucy. x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 19:49:19 pm »
Lucy,

How have things been going?

Paula x

Offline joss's mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 19:52:55 pm »
Much better thanks.  The teething gel worked that first night.  She still pulled away a couple of times in the first few minutes, but then she seemed to forget about it and guzzled the last 5oz's before falling fast asleep and sleeping really well.  She seemed to be really glad to having the bottle - a sure sign that she hadnt wanted to go without it in the first place!  Over the next couple of days she seemed less sensitive around her mouth and gums so I slowly stopped using the gel and now everything is back to normal!  I am so glad I logged on and asked for help and advice as if I had listened to just the health visitor who advised me then I would never have given her the bottle back, when actually it was such a simple problem.
Thanks again.
Lucy.
x

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 19:58:18 pm »
I am so pleased things are better.   ;D

Take Care

Paula x