Author Topic: Daytime vs. nighttime  (Read 850 times)

Offline evan's mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: August 16, 2006, 01:34:24 am »
I feel like I am posting at least 10 questions per day lately (thank God for this site!!!), but I am really trying to do EASY right.  One of my biggest challenges right now is with eating.  I would give anything to have a good eater this time!!!  Ds is 6 weeks old, and I think he still has his days and nights confused.  He is only eating about 2 ounces at a time during the day, and that is every 3 hours (I don't let him snack).  Then he is up every 3 hours at night finishing his 4 ounce bottles.  He is getting most of his calories at night instead of during the day.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong or how to fix this.  His approximate eating schedule is 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 5pm, 7 pm (or 7:30), and then the dreamfeed between 10 and 11 pm.  Then he is up every 3 hours at night.  I have to wake him every 3 hours during the day.  Help!  And thank you everyone for your invaluable advice so far.   :D

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Daytime vs. nighttime
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 15:24:04 pm »
I have copied this from elsewhere in the site, do you think it relates to your situation?

i was reding tracys neew book (just got it) :D and i realized that my 10 week old son, Michael, had his feedings mixed up! during the day i couldnt figure out why he would take between only 1.5 oz to 2.5 oz, and i was desperate for an answere. i looked back on the log i was keeping and found that at night he wakes up to eat like 3 times and takes 3-4 oz each time. so i looked in her book for my situation, and couldnt find one. so i thought to myself "what would tracy do?" then it came to me....
 tracy said one six mo. old would only go 2 hrs between feeds even at night, and that to handle it, she advised her not to feed him at all that night. the next day he took a full feed each time he ate, and every four hours, and slept through the next night.
that wouldnt work with my situation, because he would sleep four hours or so at night, and would go 2.5-3 hrs. between feeds in the day, so i knew he wasnt a "snacker".

my "plan" was to feed him 1.5 oz every time he ate that night instead of 3 or 4. that night i found that he woke every 2 hours when i did that  because he wasnt getting enough. so i gave him just ONE 4 oz bottle to hold him and replaced all the bottles with a pacifire after the 1.5 oz. for the first time in the morning he took 3 oz, and the second feed of the day took 4.5 oz!! hes eating better, and sleeping better.

my advice to those with my situation is to start slower than i did. i would tell you to add one oz to every feed in the day, and take 1 away from every feed at nightuntill you can take them out all together, but if your baby is like mine, he eats what he wants and nothing more. its imposible to add oz without REMOVING some first. so do it slowly if you can't do it that way. the first night take out an oz or two from 1 feed and replace with a pacifire. the rest of the feeds keep the same. in the moring feed add the oz you took away. then the next night either take away 1 or 2 oz from 2 feeds this time, and add them to 2 feeds the following day, and so on untill you run out of feeds and then try to cut them out all together- one at a time of course... or on the second night you could try to cut out the first feed that you reduced (from the first night). and go one feed at a time like that untill your baby sleeps through the night! it worked for me! good luck moms!!

Lauren x