Author Topic: 5.5 mo regression from long to short naps - normal?  (Read 952 times)

Offline alicialars

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5.5 mo regression from long to short naps - normal?
« on: August 16, 2006, 02:30:33 am »
My DD is 5.5 months, and has just completed the 10th day of a very successful transition to sleeping on her own, with help from pu/pd and shh-pat. Last week, she took great naps during the day - we went from two or three 30-45 minute naps and crankiness to two two-hour naps and happy baby. This is in addition to going to sleep by 7 and sleeping progressively longer each night, even stretching her sleep from the normal 3:30 wakening for a feeding to 4:30 and then 5:15! My question is that now, she's had three bad nap days in a row again. Each day she's managed 30 minutes at each nap, and no amount of shh-pat or pu/pd calms her back to sleep. I read in the sleep FAQs that babes organize their night sleep first, and day sleep follows around 6 months (and friends have told me the same thing), but I guess I just need reassurance from some other BW mommies. Have any of you experienced this? And I'm also worried that it will affect the night sleep too. Thanks in advance.

Offline alicialars

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5.5 mo regression from long to short naps - normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 16:31:18 pm »
we have plenty of awake time... 2-2.5 hours at a stretch. we just switched to a 4-hour EASY. I try to put her down as soon as she yawns or rubs her eyes.
this morning she screamed for 45 minutes while we did pu/pd and shh-pat... finally fell asleep and then 30 minutes later... bing!

Offline alicialars

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 5.5 mo regression from long to short naps - normal?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 16:29:54 pm »
okay, yesterday we did 1hr 45 min "A" and then nap time... and the naps were 30 minutes on the mark. today I've tried darkening the room completely and it did no good. I am starting the wind-down cycle as soon as I see eye rubs, but now with how over-tired she is, if I tried putting her down with sleepy cues, I'd be putting her back to bed within 20 minutes of when she wakes up!
I just don't understand what happened between last week's awesome naps and this week... we haven't changed a thing.  :-[