Author Topic: Wake to Sleep vs Holding through the jolts?  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Lizziebeth

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 20
Wake to Sleep vs Holding through the jolts?
« on: August 16, 2006, 12:25:59 pm »
Ugh! The 45 min monster has finally arrived and my 9 week old has started waking early for 2 of her naps - the late morning one and the first nap of the afternoon.

The W2S  link says to choose one method - stirring at 35 mins or holding through the joints.  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?  How did you decide which one to go for and which worked best?

I've tried holding through the jolts a few times and it seems to work.  I literally have to cover her whole body with my arms and pretty much pin her down.  Anything less and she wakes up.  I stay for 25 mins and this gets her through.  If this is working, should I just stick with it?  I guess it just means being in the room for 25 mins.

With the stirring method - if you do it right, does that mean that they don't go through the jolts and put themselves back to sleep?  Or do you still stay with them after stirring to hold them through the jolts?   I'm a bit confused about that.

My LO gets herself to sleep independently for these naps but she can't seem to put herself back to sleep at the 45 min mark.  Is that usual?

Also do I just use these methods for the naps that she's habitually waking from?  Or do I do it for the other nap and bedtime too?

Many thanks!

Offline Lizziebeth

• BW Devotee
Re: Wake to Sleep vs Holding through the jolts?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 15:54:19 pm »
Thanks Stacy, so you mean do it for 10 days then stop and see if she can get through on her own? 

Also can you just tell me with the stirring method ... if it's succesful, do they still go through the jolts in the usual way but they make it through because they're in a deeper sleep?  Or do the jolts not happen in the same way?

Offline Lizziebeth

• BW Devotee
Re: Wake to Sleep vs Holding through the jolts?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 17:00:54 pm »
Thanks again Stacy.  She is actually 15 weeks but 6.5 weeks prem so I tend to count her age as 9 weeks corrected.  Yet sometimes I think she's a bit further on then that.  Confusing!