Author Topic: 23 month has large nap and doesn't go to bed until late...plz advise!  (Read 696 times)

Offline Bexmummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Diddabobbado!!

My daughter's nearly two now and sleeps for 2 1/2 hours from about 1 to 3.30 on average and doesn't go to bed until 8.30pm. She was fine with this and we had no problems, but the last couple of nights she's got really upset and cross about going to her cot. Before now, she was happy to go to bed and even chuckled to herself when there. I'm just a little worried that her nap might be overly long and that might be the problem. Maybe she doesn't feel tired enough?

The thing that worries me about cutting her nap short is that when she gets woken up before she's ready, she gets very cranky and can't concentrate on anything. It seems a bit mean to stop her having the rest she seems to need. Any advice?

Thanks!

Vic x

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
Re: 23 month has large nap and doesn't go to bed until late...plz advise!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 20:14:17 pm »
The nap does seem a little long but only by about half an hour though a 5 hour wake time before bed time seems ok, this is what dd has. The trouble settling at night could just be a phase, dd went through this 2 weeks ago out of the blue and I did walk in/walk out and actually put her to bed 5 mins earlier not a lot I know but seems to have helped.
Since we have gotten back on track though it's taking her longer to settle for her nap, I put her down at 12.30 and it's almost 1 before she sleeps now so she suddenly only has 1.5 hours, she wakes cranky but I am ready for her and usually have a task ready that she enjoys, reading books is her favourite and it allows her to get back into her day slowly.

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: 23 month has large nap and doesn't go to bed until late...plz advise!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 20:34:51 pm »
She may not be that tired at 8:30 given her nap length and wakeup time.  

My 24 month old seems to go through phases where she will take more than 2 hours for her nap and then also go down late.  Her normal bedtime is 8 but she will often go down at 8:30--or like last night--9 o'clock!  But then she also goes through phases where she only naps 1.5 hours and then sleeps a bit earlier at night.  I think at this time there is a bit of variabliity as to nap and sleep time and I just go with whatever my dd wants on any particular day while trying to keep the nap and bedtime as consistent as possible, so that if she needs to sleep early then she can.

If she is also waking earlier though you may want to try to shift the naptime a bit earlier to see if that helps.