Author Topic: Wakes up quielty after 20-45min nap do i go in and shh him back to sleep??  (Read 1287 times)

Offline jen13

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
My son is 6 months old and he only take 20-45min naps. He wakes up at 6am he seems to be tired an hour or so later ill put him down and he only does the short naps. he probably naps anywhere between 4-5 naps. Its driving me mad. He used to sleep well at nights and nap well but at 4months thats when it turned upside down. i don't know what I'm doing wrong and don't know where to begin.
I've started him on a routine 5 days ago. 4/4 hour and pu.pd when he wakes after naps. i am confused he seems to be so grumpy now and not himself. this is what has been happening;
630 wakes breast milk and solids
815 put down easy falls asleep straight away, sleeps for 45min do pu/pd
10.30 milk
1100 so tied but keep him up until he is due for his 12.30 nap
1215 go to sleep easy only 30min. cried and cried do p/up.p/d
2.30 feed
3.30 so tied but keep him up until he is due for his 4.30 nap
4.15sleep for 20 min.. he is so grumpy sometI'mes wont stop crying im desperate at this time
6.00 feed and sleeps
middle of night wakes up very cranky cos cant put back to sleep

What am i doing wrong? Please help! he missed his 6.00pm feed last night because  he was so tired. didn't want any food the whole night even this morning. Just cried and cried!!!

Offline debo620

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 70
I'm not sure---but I think at 6months your son should be up for approx 2.5 hours. He may not be tired enough to sleep for longer then 45min.  Maybe you should slowly start increasing his awake time--by 5min every few days.--to maybe aim for something like this.

6:30 wake,eat
9-10:30 nap
10:30 eat
1-2:30 nap
2:30eat
4:30catnap 30-45min
6:30 bedtime routine,feed

if you do pu/pd for the remainder of a nap with no success---your lo will need his next nap sooner. ie with your posted routine. if his first nap ended at 9am----he will definately be way overtired by 12:15 (and thus only slept for 30min). I probaly would of opted for a nap at lets say 11:15.  Then if he only sleeps for 45min--and you do pu/pd with no success would probably be ready for another nap at 2pm.Don't worry too much about nap times---worry more about how long he has been awake. My son can handle 3hours on a good nap.
Deborah,
Noah---January 30th, 2006
Cohen-May 22, 2008
Julia-August 14, 2013

Offline jen13

• Showing Appreciation 1
thanks for the advice i will try that out tomorrow. ill let you know how it goes fingers cross
jen

Offline jen13

• Showing Appreciation 1
ok, i tried A for 2.5hrs this morning and he slept for 1.5hrs!! YAY thanks! 2 hours later he was very tired so i put him down but he only slept 30 mins.so does that mean he was still not tired enough??

Offline jen13

• Showing Appreciation 1
ok i did the 2.5 hours this morning and he only slept for only 45mins and woke up crying. does that mean i need to extend A to 3hrs?? After his 45min nap he went down 3hrs later and  slept for another 45mins. i am so confuse. dont know what to do..

Offline jen13

• Showing Appreciation 1
the last 4-5days the morning sleep has been fantastic. asleep for 1.5hrs-2.5hrs. A time between 2.25hrs and 2.5hrs. now the afternoon nap is a problem. Ive kepts him up for 2hrs, 2.25, 2.5hrs, 2.75 and even 3hrs but no matter when he goes down he only sleeps for 30mins. He doesnt have a problem going down but after he sleeps for 30mins he wakes up happy and just lies in bed trying to go back to sleep, but never does. Anyways i was thinking of droping the late afternoon nap around 4.30 and 5.00pm. do u think by doing that he's afternoon nap around 1-1.30pm will be better???thanks

Offline jen13

• Showing Appreciation 1
ive got one more question...if my son for eg sleeps 2hrs in the morning and only 20mins after lunch can i keep him up until his 6 or 7pm sleep?? at the moment this is our schedule:
6.00 bf
9.00 sleep (2hrs/2.5hrs)
11/11.30 bf
2.00/2.30sleep (20min)
5.00/5.30pm (20min)
6.15 milk
6.30 sleep
thanks