Author Topic: Time for 1 nap or teething?  (Read 899 times)

Offline LizBeresford

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 17, 2006, 02:17:46 am »
Ds has started waking alot at night and i'm not sure why  ??? ... The past few weeks it's gradually increased from waking up once to waking up 3 times at night. When he wakes it's just full on screaming straight away. Sometimes I can can get there quick and get him straight back to sleep with a dummy and rubbing his back. But more often he needs a cuddle until he calms down. He will then lie down but look up to check i'm still there. If I leave the room he will scream again. I'm currently keeping him in his cot and cuddling him while he stands and then standing with my back to him. Sometimes he will be ok with me leaving after a while, others I have to stay until he falls asleep. And to add insult to injury he's waking up earlier in the morning too  :o

Theres been no major developmental things (was walking at 8 months) and he hasn't been sick or on holiday. He sleeps very well normally and easily goes to sleep on his own in his crib for naps and bedtime. His naps are still both quite long. This is his routine:

6.30am wake
7am milk
8am breakfast
9am nap for 1 1/2 to 2hrs
11.15 snack
1pm lunch
2pm nap for 1 1/2 to 2hrs
4pm milk and snack
5.30pm dinner
7pm milk, teeth brush, story and bed.

Any ideas... if it was time for 1 nap wouldn't the day naps be shorter? Is it night terrors/nightmares? He hasn't had teething interfere with his sleep before...   I'm starting to get a bit sleep deprived... and i'm not nice when i'm sleep deprived  ;)

Any advice you've got would ge fantastic! Thankyou  :)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:19:45 am by LizBeresford »

Offline LizBeresford

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 02:18:46 am »
Oh... he's 12 months btw...... dur! Need more sleep ! ;D

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Time for 1 nap or teething?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 16:16:09 pm »
HI Liz and welcome to the boards!

I'd put money on teething. Even if he's not been a bad teether in the past, it can certainly get worse as molar pain is so awful. It is also hard to tell cause often you can't see white bumps or swollen gums for a good 3 weeks.

So, if you're comfortable with it and your ped agrees, I'd start offering pain meds 30 mins before bedtime. Motrin lasts longer than Tylenol so you should ask your ped what he thinks of it. The thing with Motrin is that you shouldn't offer it for periods longer than a week so you could try switching meds every other day to help him through this process cause it can get long. On the worst teething period, you might even ahve to give a double dosage (that is one in the middle of the night in addition to the one before bed) or both combined. Ask your ped about it but I'm positive that is teething the molars what's causing the disturbance. IT can very well be easily confused with Separation Anxiety or this can be presented along with the teething so you might be in for a Gradual Withdrawal process while this is happening. The technique is described in the faq section at the top of this board under a thread called Teaching Independent sleep.

HTH and keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake