Author Topic: where do i start?emrgency help needed with 22 month old...night wakings!!  (Read 794 times)

Offline vibha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
my DS who is 22 months was never a great sleeper but there were times (i can count off my hands) where he did sleep through the night.
he is a habitual waker but i have tried the wake to sleep technique for 2 weeks continuously and dint work for us.then i tried sleeping on a blow up bed for another 2 weeks but dint work...then now a days i WI/WO and he grizzles and starts to whine if i dont come and retuck him....i dont talk at all..just sush him and recover him..give him a drink of water.i used to feed him when he woke up at 3:30 but now i have managed to not give him the bottle...as i knew he was waking up for it and would wait to be fed. i am really at looks...i am very very tired and mentally strained....routine loos like this...

6:45 wake  cup of milk
8:15 breakfast
10:30 juice/fruits
12:15 lunch
12:45 to 2:15 bed
3:30 snack
5:15 dinner
7:00-7:30bath /milk/book/cuddles
he is asleep by 8:00

should i try wake to sleep again? he habitually wakes up at 1:00 and 3:00...sometime i just want to give up really....my sleep deprivation is getting to me...anyways,any advice is mush apprecited.
vibha

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
I'd start pushing the nap a little forward (say 1 pm) and see if he does ok with it and hopefully naps later in the afternoon. IF that doesn't do the trick, then try to push bedtime a little earlier (say asleep by 745 tops). I think that some of the night waking part (aside from the habit) is due to overtiredness cause he's awake for long periods with a rather short nap. Although I might be wrong... this tweaking part is up to you cause you know your ds better and know if this can be applied.

Then, I think part of the night waking not solving is that you're adding too much factors and he's getting confused. You said you've successfully weaned out the feedings at night YAY! but offering the water is confusing (it's like: i don't get a sip of milk but i do get one of water, so it's worth waking for it). If he's not thirsty, then you're reinforcing the habit of waking just to get "something" ykwim? Also by trying a mixture of Gradual withdrawal with pd and then switching to wi/wo might be confusing to him too.

By reading your post, I'd say he's more likely to be settled with wi/wo. But you have to be really strict on this, every time he wakes, you go reassure and wo only the first time. He'll get hystericall and cry for you, just walk in and shsh (no drink offered) and wo. Only if he's physically hurting himself or really frantic, you should comfort him again. If he's standing up and crying, lay him down, no eye contact and wo. IF he's standing but not crying, leave him at it. Only wi when he's crying for you (not mantra crying, no talking, no whining-all 3 of them should be managed by him). Talk to him during the day about night time and that mommy needs his rest. Leave a sippy cup with plain water in a place he can reach in the case he wakes thirsty and let him know that: if you're thirsty, you can grab your own sippy of water cause mommy will be sleeping. He'll put up a fight on the fist nights, after all it's been a full 2 years of waking at night, and you'll have to be really strong about it, but if you manage not to give in and offer something (a cuddle, a drink, etc) he'll get the drill that it's just about sleep and will start doing it. Remember after you've wi to stay outside the room and listen carefully what he's doing, how his cries sound and if he seems he's starting to settle. Sometimes wi/wo doesn't work cause moms hurry in their way in.

Some lo's at his age have had success with reward system. As simple as a chart on his door/wall with  :) stickers (or mommy's drawings) when he did ok at night and :( when he didn't. When he reaches 5  :) in a row you should treat him with something special. You might want to give that a try, although don't expect much, cause he's still young and he might not be interested in the rewards at all.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline vibha

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    thank you for the advice...jut a question ...having said  i have cut out his night feeds....he used to drain his bottles completely (7 oz) within 3 minutes or so ....is he hungry? he eats well during the day most days that is...is there anyway of knowing why he drains the bottle if he isnt hungry and waits for me to bring his bottle of milk? or is it habitual..did i train him to be hungry? he drinks his milk last at 7:30 and sleeps by 8:00 so at 3:00 its 7 or sometimes 8 hours without food...i know toddlers can stay without for long periods....hope wi/wo helps with this...will try ur suggestion...
he does have a cup of water with him in his cotbed...but he dosnt help himself but talking to him in the day about night time is an excellent idea....yes may evenstart with the sticker chat....might be good fun  :)
the only probelm is i dont have any family in UK ,just me and hubby ...hardly few friends so i really will do anything now to get some sleep back ;D
thank you ...will come back to post my daily success(high hopes) ;)

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
 ;)mmmhhh now you got me thinking LOL...

Yes, toddlers are supposed to hold on for up to at least 10 hours of fast. BUT (and here's the big but LOL) if they were refluxers as babies or young toddlers (and the reflux was proven to be with heartburn attacks) then you might have an issue (well, HE might have an issue) with the empty stomach. My ds was a refluxer and he NEEDS the food or else heartburn gets awful (he'll have to have surgery as he grows older because of an hernia) so the ped adviced me to feed him at most at the 9.5 hour mark of sleep. And yes, he drains a bottle in 3 mins in his sleep. So, if your ds is ONLY waking for that feed and has this medical condition, I'd recommend you to check with his ped if this could be the cause. IF this is the cause, then he should be able to go back to sleep in other wakings and should be able to sleep for long periods without more sleep training.

Also there's the possibility that you've trained him to be hungry. In that case, just be sure he gets enough calories during the day and make a heavy meal at night (That is, milk+cereal or cheese and crackers before bed) while he gets used to the new no meal routine. It might take you a while, but he'll get it, just be consistant!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake