Author Topic: how do you use TV?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: how do you use TV?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2006, 17:41:55 pm »
Unfortunitly before I started my daycare the TV was always on in the background here. I am TV adicted  :-[ I admit it. Tell you the truth though it was the only way to keep my sanity, especially when DD was younger. Just the background noise helped. DD has never really paid much attention to the TV, even now she'll watch maybe 10 minutes of a kids show then she goes back to playing. My DD is a very independent child even at 1 she prefers playing alone. I actually worry about it a little. She doesn't like DH or I playing unless she comes to us first. Its nice in that I am free to get my work around the house done, but I don't really want to spent every waking moment cleaning. I read a lot, usually while DD is playing outside, but when my eyes are tired of reading the TV goes on. When other kids are here for the day its easier. They need my attention more then DD and I can sit down and play with them. TV doesn't go on all day when my daycare kids are here.

I do think that a lot of parents abuse the TV, us it as a babysitter, and I mean more then the time needed to get ready for the day. There are to many people and children who watch TV all day. I don't believe there is anything wrong woth children watching TV in moderation, but to much is deffinintly bad.

I'd suggest you stick with no more then 1/2 hour a day and stick to kids shows or video's. The can learn a lot from them, watch with them and talk about it, especially as they get older.
Kimberly

Offline ErinGP

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 19:59:28 pm »
I don't know if it's available everywhere, but my son loves BabyTV (he's 9 1/2 months). In Canada it's on Rogers on Demand. It's pay-per-view, but there are three free 15 minute videos called First baby Songs that we watch before naps and bedtime to calm down. We usually don't watch the whole thing, just until he starts to get sleepy. We have the Baby Beethoven video, and he is not interested at all. He also loves Blues Clues (the ones with Joe, for some reason he doesn't like Steve) and we watch it sometimes before breakfast. My dh and I are big TV watchers, but we are limiting Aidan's TV time to that for now. It totals about 30-45 mins a day.