Author Topic: Why is she crying SO MUCH before putting her down?  (Read 797 times)

Offline cam621

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Why is she crying SO MUCH before putting her down?
« on: August 17, 2006, 17:32:09 pm »
My 14 mo dd has always gone down for naps/bed pretty easily.  We would just put her down awake, and she would eventually drift off to sleep with no crying.  Well, recently (past couple of weeks), every time we put her in her crib (or about to) after our bedtime routine, she starts clinging to me and crying.  I will calm her down in her crib, and as soon as I leave, the waterworks begin ALL over again.  I am not sure how you can tell if it is separation anxiety, or new milestone (she is really close to walking) or molars coming in (although she is totally fine if I walk in the room).  It is very disheartening to always have to hear the torturous crying as soon as I leave her room.  I usually walk back in (wi/wo) after a few minutes, and she calms down immediately, but then starts back up again as soon as I leave.  Am I doing the right thing?  Is this how wi/wo works?  I am just not sure if it is separation anxiety in which case, maybe I am handling this all wrong?  Any advice for this?  Or is it just another phase we have to go through?

I would appreciate ANY help!!
Thanks a lot in advance.

Offline Florencia

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: Why is she crying SO MUCH before putting her down?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 17:41:26 pm »
I am not sure how you can tell if it is separation anxiety, or new milestone (she is really close to walking) or molars coming in (although she is totally fine if I walk in the room). 

I think this is due to 3 of them. Teething molars usually hurts them most when lying down and that should be the cause that she freaks (cause she associates pain with lying down). Usually when in pain, most toddlers get clingy and have really tough separation anxiety spurts. Add to it the excitement (and tiredness) that comes with walking and there you go! you have one miserable toddler.

To deal with this, I'd suggest you to ask your ped about teething pain aids like tylenol or motrin (motrin lasts longer but is hard on their tummies). Offer them 30 mins before bedtime (or naptime) to make them kick in before she goes down. Try and plan bedtime routines 30 mins before their usual timings, so you can rule out overtiredness as a result of fighting bedtime (you give her plenty of time to cry and fuss and still she goes to sleep at a reasonable hour).

This should ease as she learns to walk. Perhaps then, you'll need a tweak in her routine as for naps and bedtime to prevent overtiredness. Keep us posted!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake