Author Topic: desperate for replys/advice.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
desperate for replys/advice.
« on: August 18, 2006, 11:25:58 am »
I posted in the feeding solid board about nightwakings because I had questions about the amount of food my dd should be eating. It was moved to bottle feeding and I really haven't had to many replies to the questions I was asking. I'm now posting her out of desperation.
My 8month old is still waking 1-2 times a night to eat. It's different times everynight and I try to settle without feeding. Sometimes it works but most often it doesn't. She is eating three solid meals a day and is taking her bottles well. She only drinks about 5-6 oz with her bottles but that is what she has always done even before solids. She is not a big eater. I have posted her many times with her routine and don't have time to post again. Lets just say it's a typical 4 hour easy.
I just want to know :
1. Is it normal for some babies to still have to eat a night even at 8 months?
2. how much solids should she be eating?
3. how much formula?
When she wakes at night I don't rush in and I only feed her when nothing else works and by then she is really crying.
I have tried all the methods, w2s, decreasing oz , watering down bottles and one night I even let her cio(not for very long,I ended up crying with her).
I might be going back to work soon and need to sleep!!!!! If it is normal for some babies to still need nightfeeds thats o.k. I just need to know what's going on so I don't spend hours awake at night trying to stop the feedings when she still might need them KWIM.
Kim

Offline **Clare**

• Showing Appreciation 134
Re: desperate for replys/advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 11:34:03 am »
Im sure you probably have but have you tried a dream feed, I have no other ideas really, I had a similar problem but think harvey was only feeding to get himself back to sleep, he didnt sleep through until a year and could be awake up to 5 times a night (only feeding once though) I ended up doing pu/pd and now he sleeps through. The other thing I tried was giving cereal with last bottle which Im not sure is 'advised' but this also helped.  That or the dream feed kept him going till 4 am then I fed him again and he'd sleep till 8.....

Not sure if this helps at all! Good luck xxx

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:41:49 am »
I dont really know the easy routine as i didnt do it but,most babies normally eat about the same amount of food,so i would say{i may be wrong}breakfast7.00 cereal,and milk then 6 oz bottle,9.00 nap{not sure}wake at 11.00,6oz bottle.lunch 1.00,a main meal and yogurt or something with some water{if she has}what ever time she has her nap.lots of actvity if you can.3.30 some friut puree with a 4oz bottle.dinner at 5.30,again main meal and  something after.bath,try to push 7oz bottle and then bed.hope this helps a little but like i said before i diddnt do easy so im not that sure.plus i didnt read bw books.This is just from being a mummy.
samantha,mum to all.

Offline Tatumsmom

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 11:44:32 am »
Hi Clare,
I did try the Dreamfeed, but that made nightwakings worse. I also tried putting a couple of tsps of rice in her last bottle.Thanks for the suggestions.
Kim

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 21:22:26 pm »
1. Is it normal for some babies to still have to eat a night even at 8 months?

Yep.

2. how much solids should she be eating?

When did you start solids? At 8 mo. I would think that you'd be giving 3 meals a day, but that's relative to when you began. At this point, solids are for practice more than nutrition - her main source of nutrition should be formula/breastmilk until 12 months. Don't put too much stress into the solids yet.

3. how much formula?

At 8 mo. my DS was having three 8 oz. bottles a day, so 24 oz. total. That's pretty average I think, give or take a few oz.

When she wakes at night I don't rush in and I only feed her when nothing else works and by then she is really crying.
I have tried all the methods, w2s, decreasing oz , watering down bottles and one night I even let her cio(not for very long,I ended up crying with her).
I might be going back to work soon and need to sleep!!!!! If it is normal for some babies to still need nightfeeds thats o.k. I just need to know what's going on so I don't spend hours awake at night trying to stop the feedings when she still might need them KWIM.

It really sounds to me like she needs that feed. I know it's not fun to get up and do it, but if she needs it she needs it. You'll know when it's not necessary anymore - she'll take less and eat slowly. At that point you should begin the weaning or just drop it altogether depending on your situation then.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Cohensmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cohen
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 00:54:30 am »
Hi Kim,
I just posted a poll to see when everyone else's lo's started sleeping 10+ hours straight through the night...should be interesting to see.

Michelle  :)

Offline Tatumsmom

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 17:56:43 pm »
Hi Jessica,
Thanks for the reply. I guess I just needed someone to say that is o.k/normal for an eight month old to still eat at night. So many pepole I talk to make me feel like I am doing something wrong because she is still eating in the night. I 'm not happy about having to get up to feed her but in all honesty she is an angle baby and if that's the price I have to pay then that's o.k. She is the happiest, sweetest baby and everyone that meets her comments on how good she is. Thanks for your support.
Kim

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 18:55:27 pm »
 :-* Kim, you're welcome. Tell those people where to shove it, you're a good mom and doing what's best for your DD. There are other LOs who still eat at night, it's just a matter of who admits it!  ;)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline daniellechiasson

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 19:10:54 pm »
Hi Kim,

I just want you to know my DD is 9 months and there  are still nights she wakes up to feed, taking a whole feeding even after chowing down at the DF. Sometimes it's 5am, sometimes even a bit earlier.

Until she was 8 months I fed her 3 times a night. I now know it was more a comfort thing for her but even since putting a stop to that there are still nights she needs a feed and it's genuine hunger.

It's always good to know you aren't alone in that row boat!! There are many of us up at night along side you.

Danielle