Author Topic: Totally different routines - 21 MO  (Read 1303 times)

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Totally different routines - 21 MO
« on: August 20, 2006, 20:41:49 pm »
DS's days are totally different over the weekend and during the week. I've always tried to keep to the nursery routine, but things over the weekend have totally gone to pot:

Week days:

- up 7 -7.30 am
- on the way to nursery by 8.30 am
- lunch 12 am
- nap 1-1.30 pm up to 3.30 pm
- 5 pm leaving nursery
- 7.30 pm bedtime routine
- 9.30 pm asleep

Over the weekend, I let him sleep until 8.30 am because I need to catch up and maybe that's where things start to go wrong. 12 am, not hungry, so will have whatever is reasonably wholesome in small quantities. Nap time: don't even think about going to sleep peacefully in the cot, so usually spent in car seat. There is usually a snack sometime in the afternoon to make up for the small lunch and dinner is whenever he's hungry and is the fad of the moment. And he's been asleep at 10 pm for the last 4 days !

Yes, I've lost the plot. He's been a fussy eater for the last 4 months and I've made a conscious decision not to fight the food battle and to ride this phase out. But have I gone too far and should I go back to waking up at the same hour every day and to scheduled meals, which probably would mean skipping meals, in the hope that appetite returns and that Mummy and Daddy have some time to themselves in the evening ?

TIA. I'm feeling a bit incompetent at the moment. DH is not helping either. Because I'm the only BW he knows, he's dismissive of BW and routines. DS is an angel toddler, so we can get away with a lot of flexibility in theory but I've always been afraid to push the boat out too far in case I pay the price later.

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Re: Totally different routines - 21 MO
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 02:33:38 am »
Some questions for you...

How old is your lo? (It may make a difference because he could be teething or going through a growth spurt.) How long has his appetite not been right?  As for bedtime, what is your bedtime routine like? Has it changed lately? What happens between the 7:30 bedtime routine and 9:30 pm when he's asleep? Does he simply stay awake in his cot/toddler bed?

Also, I do believe that a 1-1.5 hour difference in the time when he wakes up does confuse things considerably, though I can completely understand about needing that time for yourself to sleep. Is there any way you can both wake up at 7:30 am and both take an afternoon nap?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
Re: Totally different routines - 21 MO
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:05:21 am »
Georgia,

I like your signature - I will try to keep that one in mind !

DS is currently 21.5 MO - he doesn't seem to be teething at the moment. I am just putting it all down to a toddler being more interested in the world around him than in food and also in him trying to assert himself. He's otherwise healthy and happy

I think you're right about the effect of different waking times and I will try to be more consistent with routines, even if it means the odd skipped meal. We're off for a week with the ILs next week and we'll see how it goes. I guess I will have to straighten up routines in order to make things more secure whilst he is in that new environment

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:28:24 am »
Is it possible that he doesn't need such a long nap anymore? My DS is only 10 months but if he sleeps longer than 3pm the whole night sleep goes wrong. Maybe he needs a shorter nap in the week (cause nursery is hard work for him) and no nap in the weekend (cause he sleeps longer)?