Author Topic: Content during night wakings - should I intervene?  (Read 839 times)

Offline Missie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Content during night wakings - should I intervene?
« on: August 19, 2006, 14:10:01 pm »
Hello,

I've just joined today, and I can tell this board is going to be a great help to me. I have a question about how to settle LOs to sleep.

My DS is 5 months old, but up until now, colic, wind and general digestive discomfort have prevented us sticking to any kind of routine. Happlily his problems have improved and I'm trying to make up for lost time. Now we're somewhere between a 3 hour and a 4 hours EASY, but nap times are very short and DS seems to always want a BF to sleep.

DS was never a great sleeper day or night, but was natually starting to go at least 3 hours between feeds at night, he'd feed quickly, and settle to sleep quickly (usually in our bed) So although he would wake 3 or 4 times, we we're never awake for very long. However since trying to introduce a routine, and make DS stay in his own cot, things have gone horribly wrong

Over the past few nights, he goes to sleep at 7 (after an overtired, screaming meltdown), I dreamfeed at 11, but after that he seems very unsettled in his sleep. He doesn't cry, but he's almost fully awake, and then when he eventually he wakes up, he's quite content to lie there, kicking his legs, and talking to himself.
Last night he was awake for 2 hours, I was lying there listening to him, wondering if he would eventually settle himself to sleep - I eventually caved and fed him, he slept but he was up for the day again an hour later. Today he is very cranky and overtired, from not getting enough sleep, but still won't nap for long.

My question (eventually) is this - if he's not crying and seems content, should I intervene? I know he was disturbing my sleep, but he will be in his own room soon, so that won't always be a problem.

Also, how can I get him to settle for longer for his naps - again, he doesn't cry too much, but seems to resist sleep.

Sorry, about the long, wandering question

Missie

Offline Missie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Content during night wakings - should I intervene?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 14:23:12 pm »
Sorry, forgot to include this...... ::)

How old is your child? 5 months
What’s his/her daily routine? 3-4 hour EASY (but with short naps, and feeding to sleep  :-[)
What’s nap routine? 3 per day - 9am, 12noon and 4pm
How long are naps? 45 mins if on his own, 1.5 hours if I sleep with him
What's bedtime routine? Time? 7pm
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breasfeed
How much? or how long? 10-15 mins
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) usally both
How many wakes per night? 6times (2 for feeds, others just unsettled)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? If wakes for a feed, usually feed for 10 mins and settles quickly. Otherwise, kicks his legs, laughs and chats to himself
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? When wakes for feeds fusses turns into cry, otherwise may fuss - may just chat, and babble to himself
What have you tried to settle?? Dummy, shush/pat, cuddle in our bed
What do you do for A time and how long is it? 1.5-2 hours - Starts with sitting in bouncer chair while I get something to eat, then plays on mat, or we play on my knee - singing and talking
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? May be teething, but no sign of teeth yet - has starting rolling over - loves practicing by lifting his legs over to side in his cot at nigt
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No - holding out until 6 months (3 more weeks)
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? BF or dummy?? Don't always work
Do they have a lovie? Not really, trying to get him used to one particually toy - but doesn't seem bothered.

Hope this extra info helps :)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Content during night wakings - should I intervene?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 17:17:59 pm »
Welcome to BW Missie!!  ;D

I also had early problems with my DS due to reflux so we couldn't have any sort of routine until he was about 5 months either. I know how hard it is, but once things get straightened out it's HEAVEN! At this point, assuming that he's ready to handle a routine, you should get him on 4 hour EASY and be consistent. The first few days might have some bumps but you'll both get the hang of it. Consistency is key here so stick to it the best you can.

It seems that you already know that he's overtired by nighttime so I won't bother explaining that. You defintely need to extend those naps. Have you tried PU/PD or pat/shhh yet? But as for your original question, if he's not crying and is just contentedly awake, NO, do not intervene. If you do he will never become a true independent sleeper and you will interfere with his self-soothing abilities and I don't think either of you want that. So as annoying as it can be, just leave him alone until he really cries.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o