Author Topic: Need help extending nap! We are both so tired!!!  (Read 1116 times)

Offline meghan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help extending nap! We are both so tired!!!
« on: August 19, 2006, 18:32:05 pm »
I need some good tips for extending my daughters nap! She is almost 16 mo. old and has been down to one nap for about 3 weeks. This nap is, and has always been, just 1 1/2 hours. If she woke up happy and was okay until bedtime, I would be fine with this amount. But, she wakes up tired and crying and then is cranky until bedtime.

I feel like her body is programmed to sleep 1 1/2 hours. (Sometimes its only an hour). She wakes up and its like she doesn't want to be awake, but she can't fall back asleep. I've tried laying her back down and letting her cry for a few to see if she'll go back to sleep, and she never has. What can I do???

Here is her schedule:
7:30 wake up
8:00 breakfast
8:30- 12 Activity time- I try to stimulate her- play outside, have playdates, go out, no t.v., etc
12:00 lunch
12:30 wind down and lay down for nap. She usually talks for a few minutes and falls asleep
2:00 or earlier-- wakes up screaming
2:00- 5:00 try to keep her happy and entertained. Have a snack. More play
5:00 try to get dinner ready with a screaming child attached to my leg
5:30 dinner
6:00 some play, then bath
7:00 in bed, usually falls asleep within 20 minutes.

She does get a lot of sleep at night- usually 12 hours- so maybe she doesn't need a long nap? But, like I said, she still acts tired and is cranky! Oh, she is also cutting teeth- her molars- and has been for about a month. She also just learned to walk.

I am pregnant again and SOOOO TIRED. If we both dont get longer naps, we'll go crazy! Any ideas PLEASE????

Thanks!

Offline imsmum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 36
Re: Need help extending nap! We are both so tired!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 14:08:57 pm »
We were stuck on a 1.5 hour nap for ages after first transitioning to 1 nap so I think it is something that some little ones go through.  My lo finally went to 2 naps with the time change so I can't really give you any advice other than maybe trying to push the nap back a bit to see if that helps.  Ideal nap time is supposed to be halfway between sleeptime and wakeup moved forward 12 hours so for your lo that would be closer to 1:30.  Maybe try moving the nap forward in 2 15 minute increments to see if that helps.

Offline meghan

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 00:21:26 am »
Thanks. I will try that. I have tried putting her down around 1, but not consistently.
Thanks!

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:45:43 am »
Nap lengths are suh a frustration......try waiting just outside the door until you hear the first sounds of stirring. Then go in a gentle put a hand on lo's back, or pat etc and see if you can just help her transition into the next sleep phase. Sometimes a few days of this works.

Offline Lauren_Mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 03:49:43 am »
I think I might try this patting back to sleep also if she wakes too early - was Tracy okay with this method (instead of letting them try to fall back asleep themselves during naps times) - I just want to make sure I'm not adding a sleep crutch (or is it different for nap extensions than for nightwakings?)