Author Topic: Digestive System Mess How Do I Pinpoint A Cause??  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
Digestive System Mess How Do I Pinpoint A Cause??
« on: August 20, 2006, 21:04:47 pm »
I will try to make this short!!

Nathan has been on reg. formula then soy then Alimentum by 2 months of age.  At 5 months we went back to soy and he seemed to be OK.  We tried reg. formula and he was PUKING by day 3.  So we know he cannot have milk.  However, I am also starting to wonder about the soy.

A few weeks ago he had a double ear infection and was put on antibiotics.  The next weekend we ended up going to the urget care because he was sooo fussy and I wondered if his ears were not better.  The doc. told us the only thing wrong was his digestive system was "going 100 miles an hour"  (reaction of anitbiotics)  He suggested we try Alimentum for a week  and let his system rest.  Well, now back on the soy it again seems he is having trouble.  He is soo gassy and grumpy.

I have tried to limit his solids to specific foods and not have such a variety thinking it might help but it has not.   I don't know wether to just go back to cereal and no fruits/veggies??

He has 2 teeth and might be working on more.  I know teething can be blamed for everything!! 

He has reflux and spits up frequently.   He wants to walk, stand on his own, tries to pull up in the crib, etc...

I just don't know how to pinpoint the problem.  There is just SOOOO much going on.  I don't want to pay for the HA formula if that is not it.  I just don't know what to do.  Any suggestions??
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
Re: Digestive System Mess How Do I Pinpoint A Cause??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 22:12:03 pm »
Go back to basics.Try one fruit etc every 2 days.indy has fruit intollerances and is total nightmare.Its the only way.Shes on gaviscon for reflux too.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:11:56 am »
PROBIOTICS!!!!! How it is that doctors don't know about these things is beyond me. ::) It's so simple: the antibiotics destroy all the good bacteria/intestinal flora the body NEEDS to properly digest food and allows yeast to flourish instead, and probiotics help to re-establish that balance. Probiotics can be found in yogurt and kefir, but you can also just purchase them in jars.

We can find many MANY different kinds in the fridge section of Whole Foods, and there are a couple formulated specifically for infants/babies to be mixed with milk or formula. You can find capsules for adults, chewables for kids, you name it.

Hope this helps!!!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:20:56 am »
And a powdered version for the babes.  Check the fridge section of any natural/health store.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 11:52:53 am »
I totally agree with everyone. I LOVE probiotics here - they've greatly helped out with my own DD's digestive issues. We use 1/2 tsp of Nature's Way Primadophilus for Children every day - have done so for about 6 months now. And I'd stick with the Alimentum for now too - many babies with milk intolerances also have issues to soy...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline jennyh

• take each day as it comes.
  • Showing Appreciation 278
  • my angels.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 19:52:39 pm »
my youngest is intollerant to milk and soy and has pepti-junior formula which is great.You can cook with it too.
children are precious,cherish the moments....
dd1 -01-08-03
dd2-29-06-05

Offline Cassie

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 21:02:12 pm »
I agree with the probiotics.  Lactose Free formula still has milk protein, it is just free of milk sugar (lactose).  It is rare (although it does happen) that a baby is lactose intolerant.  Usually it doesn't development until the age of 5.  At least 50% (some studies suggest a even higher percentage) of babies who are milk protein intolerant are also soy protein intolerant.

I would try the probiotics and go back to the basics with solid food first.  If that does not help within a week, you can try the Alimentum/Nutramigen to allow your lo's gut to rest a bit.  You might also try the Carnation Good Start line of soy formula, it is sometimes better tolerated.

I bet it is fall out from the antibiotics.  They can wreck the digestive system.
Cassie (Formerly Duncan'sMom!)
Mom to Duncan 9/15/02 and Palmer 11/28/05

"Motherhood, like an addiction, must be taken one day at a time".

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 00:11:48 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  He seems to be doing a little better?????   I don't know but anyway, I have a yogurt question that I put up as a different post.  As for the probotics, the health food store is "out of the way" of my normal day so I have not made it there yet.  I hope to have time tomorrow.  In the meantime I wanted to try the yogurt.
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06