Author Topic: How much for 1 year old?  (Read 1367 times)

binxyboo

How much for 1 year old?
« on: August 20, 2006, 23:01:31 pm »
My DS has never been a huge solids eater, by that I mean all food that's not liquid. As he was breastfed, I have not worried. Now that I am starting to wean him, I want to make sure he will get the proper nutrition. I read about all these babies eating lots of jars at each meal and wonder where do they put it. Also, how much milk should he take and when. We nursed pretty much on demand so this has not been an issue until now. Please help!!!! He is a big boy, over 30 lbs and 33 ins at 1 year old.DH is 6'4", so I think it's genetic.

Offline GabrielleD

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
  • Maryland, USA
Re: How much for 1 year old?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 23:50:42 pm »
Hi,

My DS is also big (31 inches, and 25 1/2 lbs - we're both tall) and this is what he eats each day:

6:30 - 5-6 oz. of cow's milk
7:45 - 4 oz fruit puree (we're having issues with some textures) and 4 oz. of whole milk yogurt
11:00 - usually refuses the milk that's offered
12:00 - 6 oz. of mac/cheese, or spaghettios, or Stage 3 baby food AND about 3 oz. of applesauce
3:30 - cheese cubes and Cheerios for snack
4:15 - 5 Tbsp. oatmeal mixed with whole milk AND 4 oz. of vegetable puree
7:00 - 6 oz. of cow's milk

Hope this helps.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:56:31 am »
I have been wondering the same thing. This is what my DD has on a good day when her teeth aren't bothering her.

Breakfast: 7ozs milk in a cup,either 1/4 oats or 1.5weetbix mixed with 4ozs milk. Toast or cheerios afterwards.
Snack: Slice of cheese,heinz cheesy bread stick rest of milk from breakfast.
Lunch: Either Cheese and Vegemite sandwich,125g tin spagetti/bake beans,scrambled egg with cheese,pumpkin soup. Then 120g yoghurt and water in a cup.
Afternoon snack: Heinz fruit stick and sultanas. Water in a cup
Dinner: Usuallly what we are having about 1/4-1/2cup. 1/4-1/2cup jelly,fruit or custard for dessert. 7ozs milk in a cup.
Before bed rest of milk from dinner.

Will be interested to see what everyone else says.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

binxyboo

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:30:10 am »
I think he is getting too much milk. Right now he is getting 9 ounce EBM, one nurse and about 10 ounce of rice milk. He is having problems with cows milk, but does eat yoghurt. The rice milk is so different to cows milk that I don't know how much to give him. It is great if he finishes one jar per meal, usually it's less

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 21:27:28 pm »
I really wouldn't worry too much.  Does your DS enjoy finger foods at all?  I know Lilah really only wanted to self-feed once she could do it, and always ate better if I gave her finger foods.

You're right that rice milk is very different from cow's milk in that the protein content is very low.  I'd give about the same amount as you would alll other milks, though, and just concentrate on getting other sources of protein in there.  Any reason you're using rice milk instead of soy?  Just curious.  Soy milk is more like cow's milk in its protein/carbohydrate balance, but lots of people worry about soy allergy.

And FWIW, the "recommended" amount of cow's milk is 16 oz.  Too much can actually cause anemia in young children (here is a big benefit of using non-cow's milks and also of extended nursing).  Lilah never took that much milk, but she still nursed 2X a day until she was 22 months, and I think she got plenty that way.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

binxyboo

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 22:19:40 pm »
I was vegan for 13 years before I had DS, and during that time read a lot about the dangers of soy.Not that I can remember the finer details now, but don't feel comfortable giving it to him. I think that drinking other species milk is not natural anyway, but for various reasons have decided now is the time to wean, and am not having much success pumping with the Medela PIS. I never pumped when lo was younger, as I was with him all day long, I don't know if this is why. I think I just have to make sure he gets the nutrients from somewhere, but it's worrisome when he doesn't eat all that much