Author Topic: Can teething do this?  (Read 860 times)

Offline daniellechiasson

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
Can teething do this?
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:33:16 pm »
Morning,

My DD is almost 9 months, we were doing sleep training the past few weeks, then her TEETH started. She at this point is still my lil' toothless wonder. I know they are coming in, I can notice the difference in her gums and her drool factor has increased ten-fold.

Well last night, I got her up at 11pm for the DF. I gave her a shot of infant motrin and fed her. I tried to top her up with a bottle but she was 'full'. So back we went to her room. She was mush on my shoulder at this point. I put her down, she snuggled up with her bunny and I figured she was out for the night. Then the fun began.

After about 5 minutes she started screaming, not crying, but screaming. I went in to her room, she was laying on her back just screaming, what I took as screaming in pain from her teeth. I picked her up, calmed her down and back into the crib she went. Snuggled up to bunny again, I stood there waiting to see if she was out. Nope, same thing, screaming after a minute or two. I could get her to settle in the crib with a bit of shh/pat. She loves laying on her tummy with her bumm in the air, so I would rub her back and she would settle. I then took my seat in the rocking chair to see how it would go. After about 20 minutes of this I gave her some teething tablets thinking they would help until the Motrin kicked in. Well, no such luck. I tried Oragel. This went on for almost 2 hours until I think she finally exhausted herself and passed out.

Is this normal for teeth to cause so much pain and upset or do you think there is something else I should be looking for?? She appears to be in good health, she's 19 lbs and eats well both breastmilk and solids. How long does it normally take for the Motrin to kick in? Is there some other medication I could try?

She woke at 7am a bright and chipper child. I'm the dragging butt around the house mommy zombie!

Thanks for your help.

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Can teething do this?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 16:42:55 pm »
My DS was also a toothless wonder until a week before his first birthday!  ::)  Right before he gets a new tooth (or two) he does the exact same thing.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline daniellechiasson

• Showing Appreciation 101
  • My two greatest loves.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:20:45 am »
Thanks!

I did find a teething thread under General - Health/Medical/Special Needs. Sure felt good to read the posts from the parents going thru the same thing.

I'll find my way around this board eventually!

D

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 16:02:34 pm »
I just posted on the teething thread myself.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o