Author Topic: hands on or off?  (Read 878 times)

Offline OliverRowland

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« on: August 21, 2006, 13:05:23 pm »
My 12 week old jolts and wiggles and very often wakes up after 45 min.  My husband and I are not sure if we are supposed to keep our hands on him for 20min and then take them off of him or just place our hands on him when he jolts and wiggles.  If you keep hands on does the release of warmth and weight of our hands wake him up?  If hands are not already on him to catch the jolts are we actually helping him?    We are at times able to go back in pick him and start over to get him to sleep the rest of the 90min.  The only thing is is that the "Y" time doesn't exist yet.....well maybe enough time to brush my teeth and use the facilities!!!!!!
What are your thoughts?[

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: hands on or off?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 13:31:59 pm »
Some people suggest and have had great success keeping light pressure for the full 20 minutes at first and then after a few days less and less. We never did that but many others have. I know it's so hard not to have any true Y time, but that tends to come after all the hard work you've put in when your LO becomes a great independent sleeper!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline nursekat

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 16:42:21 pm »
I have had the best success with gentle pressure after the 45 min wakeup, more than any other "trick" in the book.  As far as how long I keep my hands on her, it depends on which nap it is.  For her first nap, I keep them on her until she's dozing off, and I can usually slip away at this point (and on the rare days, she doesn't even need this much, just a binkie re-insert).  For the second nap, it takes a little longer, and for her third nap I usually have to spend 20-30 mins in there until she's REALLY soundly asleep.  Then, so the change in my hands leaving doesn't wake her up, I gradually lighten the pressure in one hand until I have it all the way off, then do the same with the other hand, then wait another 5 mins to make sure she's not going to wake up again.  Sometimes she still does (her third nap is really the hardest of the day), so I start the process all over again.  Usually, though, if I have the pressure there until she's pretty soundly asleep, any jolts after that don't wake her up fully.  It takes a LOT of patience.  And it took me some experimenting to see what really worked for her.  Keep trying different things and see. 

My biggest challenge is my mental boredom - I get antsy sitting there for 20 minutes not moving.  I think today I'll download a book on tape for my iPod so I have something to do!  :)  But I hear you - the "Y" time is almost non-existant for us with 45-min nappers!  :)