Author Topic: Newborn and vomitting...  (Read 1410 times)

Offline trigirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 21, 2006, 16:10:13 pm »
Our little one is 1 week old. I'm using the same formula as I did with my son--- Enfamil A+ (Canada). She seems to feed about 2-3 oz every 2 hours (sometimes every 1-1/2 hrs during the day) and longer stretches at night. The odd day, however, in the late afternoon or evening (like yesterday), she will vomit quite a bit. This concerns me, because my son never (or very very rarely) threw up. Could she be getting too much formula during the day? She's pretty consistent with her urine output and BM's. If she had a problem with the formula, would she throw up after every feed? Thanks for any advice!!

Also: she's currently over her birth weight.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 16:12:28 pm by trigirl »

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: Newborn and vomitting...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 16:11:50 pm »
Sometimes spitting up can be from overfeeding.  I know my first one spit up always after he ate and my second one rarely did. 

Does she seem to be in pain at all?

Offline trigirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 16:13:42 pm »
No-- no pain....(ie: pulling in her legs or crying). She's actually quite satisfied, and tends to fall asleep, but will throw up (?)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 16:14:53 pm »
How many ouces per day and feeding is she having?

Offline trigirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 16:16:50 pm »
during the day: 2-3 oz every 2 hours (sometimes less than 2 hours).....during the night, she'll go 3-4 hours, and will consume 3 oz.

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 16:36:42 pm »
So over 20 ounces per day?

Have you tried to do 3 hours in between?  Or do you prefer 2 hours.  It seems that she is getting lots and eating well so she ma be able to go for three hours.

Also if she doesn't seem to be in pain then I wouldn't worry about the spitting.  My first was a happy spitter.

Offline trigirl

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 16:52:32 pm »
Thanks! I would LOVE to go 3 hours, but she seems to nap for short periods of time, and as soon as she wakes, she practically has her fist down her throat - which I am interpretting as hunger! Any suggestions for getting her to go longer in between? If she has been up for too long (which has happened several times over the past week), my husband and I have been guilty of feeding her again to get her to sleep......which I know is a big no-no, but sometimes it works (we got into the bad habit of doing this with my son, which lasted for over a year......thus my eagerness to adapt EASY into our lives with the new baby)

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 16:59:00 pm »
Well the with #2 I wouldn't feed before 2.5 hours cause he didn't eat well. At that age I did whatever I had to to get him to sleep.  Will she take a paci.  I found that he really had more of a need to suck than to eat KWIM?

Where in Canada are you?

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 19:35:09 pm »
Just a thought - do you wind your lo in the middle of a feed?  This may help.
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline litomi

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:30:01 am »
Our LO used to have the same problem... the doctor told me to burp her more often. Feel your LO's tummy, is it tense? or is it soft. If it's tense, that means there's a lot of air stuck in the stomach,  you need to burp her. Our LO used to wake up because she needed to be burped. The air is not making her feel comfortable, especially when she comes out from her deep sleep. It doesn't feel comfortable... not painful.
When burping your LO, rest her head on your shoulder. Gently jiggle her and then pat her on the back. Jiggling helps to move the air bubbles up. Imagine your baby's stomach as a can of soda, lots of air bubbles stuck on the wall.  ;)
Hope this help