Author Topic: Constipation pain in a 5 month old??  (Read 10339 times)

Offline lkandj

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 21, 2006, 21:27:52 pm »
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place, but we are getting a bit desperate!!

Our little girl is 5 months old, and is really constipated. She is bottle fed and hasn't been for 4 days now. It is really compacted, and you can sort of see it coming out, but she is in agony, and can't push hard enough. The doctor has pescribed some latulose, but it doesn't seem to have helped yet. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

She doesn't like water, and we tried watered down orange juice. I was going to try some sugar in water any other ideas?? It is horrible to see her in so much pain.

Thanks very much, and sorry if tmi!!

Offline ryan's mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: Constipation pain in a 5 month old??
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 21:44:03 pm »
The lactulose can take 2 days to work .Ryan has been on it since he was 5 months old . How much are you giving ? Ryan was on 2.5ml twice a day at 5 months .It is hard to work out the correct dose , it depends on how badly they are constipated ,we found after a while Ryan was too explosive so we cut the dose down.After starting reflux meds ( constipating ) we had to increase the dose .It is only a sugar based med so they don't absorb it , it's very safe . Lactulose should be more effective than water and sugar .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline lkandj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 21:46:00 pm »
Thanks. She has only been on it for one day so far (2.5ml). I think we will give it another day, and then take her back to the docs if nothing has happened!

Thanks for the reply

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 21:50:14 pm »
i'm sure she will have an empty tomorrow  ;D  will keep my fingers crossed for you , it's so hard to watch them straining in pain. Out of interst which formula are you using ?
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

Offline lkandj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 21:56:27 pm »
She has been on Farley's First milk. She has been OK up to now!!

Again, thanks for the reassurance. I will let you know when we have movement!!

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 21:59:39 pm »
Another helpfull tip is to bicycle her legs to help move things along , also warm baths help but with the bath comes a warning  ..... they are so relaxed you might find they have an empty in the bath

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 20:11:51 pm »
I agree wth Ryans Mum.

We too had Thomas on lactulose from 6 months old.  He was hospitalised for constipation, and nothing seemed to work.

The lactulose is very good, and the key is to ensure that your lo is drinking enough to help her go again.

Definitely keep up with the lactulose, you will see results soon.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2006, 20:17:54 pm »
Don't go on any follow on formula when she is 6 months, that will make it worse... One thing that helped us (if she is a good weight) make the formula thinner for a few days and try and feed more frequently. Instead of water (if she doesn't like it) give warm water with just one scoop of formula. That might help. Don't tinker with her bottom (no thermometer or something, you could hurt her) and don't give her baby rice...

Good luck!

Offline lkandj

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 15:06:41 pm »
Thanks for your help!! We took her back to the docs on Tuesday, who prescribed some suppositories. Got her home and she managed to pass a bit herself. She then went for a couple of huge ones (sorry!!) on Wednesday & Thurday so we stopped giving her lactulose.

Blimey, babies are complicated!! (I am a man, obviously!!).

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 16:41:27 pm »
We had great success with lactulose when nothing else would work.  DD would cry when pooping and had this really eerie, painful squeak that she would make as she was trying to push.  I would end up in tears and finally we got the perscription.  It does take a bit of tweaking to get the doseage right, but DD was on 1teaspoon each day.  I've been weaning off it with solids and trying to get prunes and highly laxative foods in her, but have recently started back with 1/2 teaspoon to help her pass them. 

Lactulose isn't a laxative per se - like the suppositories - it won't produce an immediate bowl movement.  But, if you find the proper dose you all will be much happier.  Good luck!
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 18:38:58 pm »
lkandj,

Was just wondering why you decided to stop the lactulose.

It is an ongoing treatment that helps soften the movement, to enable the baby to go.  To see an improvement you do have to continue giving it to your lo.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline ryan's mum

• North Wales U.K
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 18:49:47 pm »
I would agree , if constipation is an issue then stick to the lactulose. Suppositries are good but using them too often can damadge the anal glands ( this is what we were told by the pead) also when we used them for a short while Ryan just knew what was coming and hated it , he fought us all the way and even freaked when it came to nappy change , it took us a while to gain his trust back

Offline jasmynesmum

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Being a mummy is the best gift in the world.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2006, 23:24:16 pm »
I really can sympathise...  from 4wks my daughter has had on and off constipation,....  We introduced prunes at 6 weeks and this has totally helped to regulate her however she still has some days where she strains very hard to go.  Before the prunes she also went 5 days without going....  Have you tried sticking a Q tip up her bum when she seems like she needs to go... this stimulates the bowel and then when she is straining you can lay her down, bend back her legs and hold apart her bum cheecks (gross but it works!)    Sometimes you may notice that when she is trying to go she is pushing but squeezing her butt together!

Just some ideas....  I would try the prunes though....  we were giving 1/2 and portion twice a day and continued this until she started on regular solids.
 :-[
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80