Author Topic: 17mo won't fall asleep without me  (Read 993 times)

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: August 22, 2006, 11:25:33 am »
my 17mo has generally been a dream sleeper.  up until last week, we were able to just put him in his crib after our sleep routine and walk out.  lo would fall asleep without fussing. 

but now, for some reason, he wants me to be in the room while he falls asleep.  if i try to leave, he screams bloody murder, even if he is almost asleep.  i tried a little bit of wi/wo, but that just seems to upset him more.  i guess the good news is that i don't have to really do anything other than stand there and pat his back if he cries.  i'm usually in there for 10-15 min for naps and up to 1h at bedtime.

even though i know this is a developmental thing because nothing in his environment has changed at all, i am worried that those bedtimes will stretch out into infinity.  sometimes he just looks at me and tries to play while i stand there.  and i have to stand.  if i sit, it upsets him - maybe the chair is too far away from the crib.  i don't know where he is getting the energy to stay awake for all of that time because he is drowsy when i put him in his crib.

anyone have any experience with this?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: 17mo won't fall asleep without me
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:35:25 am »
We went through a patch of this not too long ago -- we had rough bedtimes and some night wakings too.  Generally I'd just stay with her until she got calmer and then did some wi/wo.  When she was really screaming though, I didn't leave her -- it seemed to sudden and that she really needed some comforting (just my mommy instinct, but if yours tells you that, go with it).  I also did some sleeping on the floor next to her when she woke at night just so she knew I was there.  Fortunately it passed for us after a couple of weeks.  I think as long as you don't get into too much accidental parenting (ie, bringing him into bed with you, rocking him to sleep) it seems like you should be ok.  I found that we had gotten into too late of a bedtime (just a little bit at a time too - sneaks up on you!) -- and once I started putting her down a bit earlier it seemed to help as well.  Hope it passes soon!