Author Topic: Toddler Biting  (Read 1344 times)

laurennsarah

Toddler Biting
« on: August 22, 2006, 13:30:09 pm »
First of all I know I am a crazy mother so please bear with me.  My 18 month old toddler has really been biting and nothing, and I mean nothing, has stopped the biting, hitting, kicking, etc.  She was recently kicked out of daycare for biting.  My question..  Is this normal or could it be something else?  The daycare worked led me to believe that there was something mentally wrong with her.  My sane self tells me she is the crazy one but the insane part of me is starting to wonder.  She could be happily playing and she runs over and chomps down or pinches.  I do understand the frustration biting but not this.  The crazy woman in me wonders if it has something to do with her allergies.  She is on neocate and can not tolerate milk and we are just introducing a trail of soy (biting was before soy but has gotten worse).  Do you think it is possible that since she was in so much pain before that she has no understanding of pain?  I have noticed she has a high pain tolerance when she falls down and scrapes her knees she just gets back up as if nothing happend.  She really has to do something big to cry in pain from an accident.  Or maybe she was in so much pain for so long that it damaged her mentally somehow?  I really hope someone can help before my insane half gets the best of me.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Toddler Biting
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 14:08:49 pm »
It's hard to say. I think it's probably normal toddler biting (and you may want to check out the discipline/socialization board for more advice here) but if she's in discomfort from food allergies she may be taking out her frustration/discomfort as well. Why are you trying soy? Keep in mind that if she truly has a milk allergy, she has a 50% chance of an allergy or intolerance to soy as well.

Big hugs - hope it gets better soon!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

laurennsarah

Re: Toddler Biting
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 14:32:16 pm »
We have been trying so because it is so hard to find foods that are ready-made that don't have some form of soy.  I haven't worked up the courage to just give her a glass of soy milk and don't think I ever will but if it has been manufactured in a plant that has other soy products or soy at the bottom of the ingred. list we have been giving it to her.  She is pretty bright and won't eat something that has milk after the first try - don't ask me how she knows, must do something to her mouth.  Sometimes she is the one who lets me know when there has been an ingred change that I didn't catch (I don't try to go by this method).  Between work and trying to keep up with the kids I don't have the time or money to special order and bake things like bread all the time.  Who knew it would be so hard to find a store bought bread w/o milk and soy?  I can't wait for the day she can start telling me what hurts and when!  I have been thinking about backing down on the soy though.  There have been some personality changes with her that make me wonder if it is something she is eating.