Author Topic: Transitioning to one nap - amount of A time vs nap/sleep time  (Read 1888 times)

Offline Andys mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Transitioning to one nap - amount of A time vs nap/sleep time
« on: August 22, 2006, 20:55:28 pm »
Hi!

Just wanted to see if there is a typical amount of A time before they go down for their nap and evening sleep, and if there should be more A time before or after the sleep.  I read ages ago on this site when he was transitioning to 2 naps that the nap/sleeps should be 2-2.5/ 3-3.5 and 4-4.5 hrs after they woke up this worked perfectly for us (I am lucky I have a textbook baby!).  I can't remember who suggested this but it was the best advice.

I have been reading the posts around schedules and it looks like it is 5 - 5.5 hrs after wake up they go down for a nap, then to bed 6 - 6.5 hrs after they wake up.  So this suggested that the afternoon A time should be longer??

We have just transitioned to one nap and now I am looking to really fine tune it....

Thanks in advance,
Andy mum.

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: Transitioning to one nap - amount of A time vs nap/sleep time
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 02:29:46 am »
I think this might be one where it really depends on what works best for you and your LO.  Mine has always been more of a morning person -- gets crankier in the afternoons, so our longer A time is in the morning.  Generally she's up around 8, goes for her nap between 1:30/2 and is up again around 3:30, bedtime by 8 (well, in crib by 8, she tends to babble a bit before falling asleep).  Don't know what advice others will give you, but we had to play around for a bit -- if she goes down too early, she doesn't sleep long enough. Of course, it takes their bodies some time to get used to the longer A time, so you end up with some crankiness and some shorter naps as they're making the transition.  Good luck!  Those long midday naps are a wonderful thing for mommies!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:44:04 am »
I agree with Erin some prefer a longer awake time in the morning some in the afternoon. My DD could never handle anything longer than 3-3.5hrs awake time in the morning and we have just made the move to 1 nap. She now has 5hr awake time in the morning before nap,has a 2-3hr nap (2hrs being her average) then awake time of approx 5hrs before bed. I think they normal say 6hrs awake time in the morning and 4/4.5hrs in the afternoon but it all depends on what your bub can tolerate.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 11:42:05 am »
I agree with pps - H has much longer awake time in the morning (up at 6am - sleep 12.30pm (2hrs) - bed 7.30pm). He gets more tired as the day progresses, so tolerates a shorter awake time after his nap before bed, especially with a run around in the afternoon.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 14:56:13 pm »
Also agree with pps--longer A time in the morning is pretty usual.  If you are curious you can check out the post "what does your toddler's day look like"--it looks like most little ones are like this. I think Tracy's ideal 1 nap schedule is w/u 7 am nap 1 pm for 2 hours then bedtime at 7:30 ( with I guess sleep time 20 to 30 minutes later)  so that's 6 hours before nap and 5 hours after.  I also read in another sleep book that the ideal nap time (for baby or adult) is at exactly the midpoint of night sleep but moved 12 hours forward ie. ie.  if your lo sleeps 10 hours at night from 8pm to 6 am  the midpoint is after 5 hours or 1 o'clock so that nap should be at 1.  Having said that you have to go with what your lo is like.  If Margot has too long an A time after nap she will wake at night so no more than 5.5 hours for us.  I'm sure there are some lo's though who are the opposite--that they can't take a nap or get a long nap if they are overtired so they need to nap a bit earlier in the day than is usual.

Offline lucmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 22:27:47 pm »
So do you all adjust bedtime based on when LO wakes up from the nap?  i.e. if it is an unusually short nap or a late/long one, do you move bedtime to keep the awake time consistent or do you stick with a consistent bedtime?

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 03:33:02 am »
We stick with a consistent bedtime -- if she's had a super long nap, it's usually due to her not sleeping as well the night before.  Generally, if it's getting past 4 and she's still asleep, I will wake her up because I've found that sleeping past then makes for a disaster at bedtime.  Doesn't happen that often though.

Offline Harrisonsmummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2006, 11:54:40 am »
I adjust bedtime slightly depending on length of nap. If H has only slept for an hour, then firstly he is awake an hour earlier than normal, and secondly  he hasn't had the 1.75 hours that he needs. In that case I will put him to bed at 7pm rather than 7.30pm.

He is normally awake by 3pm in the afternoons, but if for any reason he is still sleeping then I wake him at that point to give him a reasonable A time before bed.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 14:37:21 pm »
If she has a short nap I will usually try an earlier bedtime but it also depends on how her night sleep has been.  Margot has been shaking things up a bit for us lately, with the occasional 11 hour night but then maybe only an 1 hour 15 minute nap, and then the next day a 9.5 hour night sleep 3 hour nap.  My general rule is if she wakes early from her naptry getting her down that much earlier, if she wakes late from her nap I go for her regular bedtime in any event because she may be overtired and need the extra sleep.  For the most part Margot is content to be in her crib for a while before falling asleep so this approach works well for us.