Author Topic: 3 year old sleep problems  (Read 906 times)

Offline emlay

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: August 23, 2006, 18:41:34 pm »
As of August 2 we are paci FREE!!! It was not near as bad as I had thought, of course never is.  Our problem is that we are not sleeping all night and he is having nightmares.  He has started talking about ghost and monsters.  My niece is the culprit there.  And I guess the paci was such a comfort that when he had bad dreams before he just turned to the paci.  Now he is waking and coming to our room(which all I do is comfort him and return him to his bed), or waking up screaming about the ghost and monsters.  So I guess my question is.... Does all of this have a lot to do with taking the paci away and how do I help make it better?  We reassure him every night.
He also has a teddy bear that he has had since birth that he sleeps with but it is not helping very much.  I am so glad that the paci is gone, but will he ever sleep soundly again?  And it breaks my heart that he is afraid and that I can not seem to help him. :'(

Thank you for any advice
Heather

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Re: 3 year old sleep problems
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 17:21:13 pm »
What about a night light?  And can you "search" the room for monsters and such before bed?

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 21:40:57 pm »
or put together a "monster spray" (bottle of water & light scent) and spray down the room at night for protection. 
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline emlay

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 19:47:40 pm »
I have done the "monster spray" and it worked for one night.  I made him a "big boy chart"  and when he does his Big Boy things he gets to put stickers on his chart.  We do this right before bed time and it has been working well.  He is really excited and happy about what he has done that day.  And he is ready to sleep in his bed all night cause he will get a sticker the next day.  He has only mentioned monsters one time since and I told him we were not talking about that becasue they are not real.  And he agreed!! So thanks for your advice and I hope we have solve our sleep problem for this time.

Thanks again
Heather

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 21:46:34 pm »
Glad to hear you got things worked out. ;D