Author Topic: dropping his nap?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: August 23, 2006, 19:12:29 pm »
Ds just turned 2 and has been a great sleeper since he was 4 months old.  He almost always takes a 2.5 to 3 hour nap in the afternoon.  I have started waking him up from his nap if it goes past 4:30 b/c he is just not tired at bedtime.  For several months he has taken his nap at 2:00.  He used to take it at 1:00 but his awake time just kept increasing.
He goes into his crib awake with no issues, but lately he is in his crib babbling and talking for sometimes 2 hours before he falls asleep!  Then by the time he falls asleep it is 3:30 or later, so his bedtime is pushed back to 9 and sometimes he is not even tired then. Then he gets up sometime between 7 and 8. 
Is this a sign that he is dropping his nap or can I tweak it somehow by playing with his wake up and bedtimes?

Thanks,Kim

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: dropping his nap?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 11:12:58 am »
Kim,

Could you try putting him down at 3 and waking him at 4:30 so he's still tired for bedtime?

Is he still sleeping through the night?

It is very possible he could be ready to drop the nap.  If you were to go that route, I would still have quiet time in his room, perhaps for an hour.  In this case, he may fall alseep anyway, and maybe nap every other day.  Does that make sense?

HTH

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 12:28:53 pm »
Thanks.  He does sleep through the night but he doesn't go to bed until 9 b/c he isn't tired.  Yesterday I put him down at 2:15 and he was fine.  I think it depends on the day. 
The reason I wasn't sure if he was ready to drop the nap is because he almost always sleep longer then 2 hours and I often have to wake him from it, so he must need it, I guess it just needs to be later. 
Maybe I can tweak it when we have daylight savings time.

Thanks!

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 14:44:28 pm »
My dd has just turned 2 and lately has had a lot of variability in her nap lengths and night sleep, some nights sleeping 10 hours and others 11.  Naps also vary from 1.5 hours to 3+!  So I think he probably still needs his nap but there just seems to be a bit more variability from day to day around this age.  I'd just keep offering the nap at 2 and wking him at 4:30 and just go with the flow.  As long as he is still sleeping well at night and seems content he is probably on average getting all the sleep he needs.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 17:40:18 pm »
Hi Kim!

Knowing Frankie I'd bet he's not ready to drop the nap yet. If the nap is consistantly over 1.5 hour long it is most likely he needs it. I'd try to put him down earlier (1:30) so even if he takes long to go down, he'll sleep earlier and have a decent nap then. That should help you also to go back to an earlier bedtime. What i have found is that providing a longer wind down, helps a lot with the resistance for the nap. YOu can try reading an extra book or singing for long time inside the dark room, a back/foot massage (that never fails here to make Manolo drowsy) and adding an extra 10 mins to the wind down routine might help you get him down sooner.

HTH and by all means, stick to the nap as long as possible

Kisses and hugs!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline frankiesmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 18:04:26 pm »
Hey Flori, there you are!!!  I was wondering when you were going to answer this.  I know you are always looking out for us ;)
I don't think Frankie is ready to drop his nap either.  I just put him down at 1:45 and he is quiet.  Somedays I guess he is just not as tired as others.  The problem with the long wind down is Luca!!  If he is awake, then I can't spend much time with Frankie.  But, he seems to be back to wanting to go right in his crib (for now). 
Of course, I just walked out of Frankie's room to put him down, and Luca is up.  Can't I have a few minutes of overlapping naps????
Hope you are well.  I miss you!

Hugs, Kim

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 18:19:54 pm »
Hi kim! sorry it took me long to answer you... i had the hand mouth and foot disease (and so did Manolo... :-[ it was an awful 2 week period for us)... so i had to ask for a sickness leave here at bw site LOL.

On days when Manolo is like Frankie (not tired enough--- we can't be entertaining machines LOL) i have found out that 15 mins of relaxing tv (he's laying down drinking his milk or having a cuddle with me) before bed make the trick to have him drowsy and ready to sleep. HTH (i know tv is a bad mammy moment but you gotta do what you gotta do, sp. with another small monkey to care for).

Here's sending you lapped naps vibes!!!!!! and take care!!!!!!!!!! i promise to get on touch with you guys as soon as i catch up here and at work ! remember i love you and think of you!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake