Author Topic: Yogurt Question  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Maggie and Nathan's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • WITH FREEDOM COMES RESPONSIBILITY
Yogurt Question
« on: August 24, 2006, 00:16:11 am »
So Nathan had tummy issues and some of you suggested yogurt.  So I went to the grocery store today and looked at the YO Baby yogurt.  It is made of whole milk and I assume since Nathan cannot tolerate milk based formula that he also cannot tolerate that yogurt.  right??

I did find a Yo Soy yogurt.  I bought this thinking it would be good for his tummy???  YES?????  I dont know much about this digestive stuff.  I knew you guys were the experts!! :D

My question (besides those!!)  is the flavors are peach (OK) and strawberry (??) can he have strawberry yogurt at 7 months or should I just eat those??? ;)
TARA

Maggie  06/18/02

Nathan   01/30/06

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Yogurt Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 00:46:43 am »
Nope, he should not get the strawberry.  At his age, I would hesitate to give milk based yogurt, is he doing soy formula?  If the soy yogurt has the probiotics to it, that will help his tummy.  Hopefully.   Good luck!!!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline shelliz

• Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 00:48:27 am »
My dd had her FIRST reaction to a food when I fed her strawberry yogurt the other day.  I had never given her strawberries before (but I had given yogurt).  She broke out in tiny red bumps ALL over her body. I took her into the Dr. that same day and the doc said it was an allergy to the strawberries. I knew (in the back of my mind) that I wasn't suposed to give them until she was at least a year but I was confused why they would make baby yogurt in that flavor.

So...I am sure many moms do give strawberries but I thought I would post our story that my dd had a reaction. It was kinda scary! Just wanted to share.

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 01:06:54 am »
Fair warning: the stuff has sugar in it. Yes, it's organic sugar, but if you're dealing with a yeast overgrowth from the antibiotics, it's kind of going to defeat the purpose, as sugar feeds the yeast. It WILL have probiotics in it, though, so I'd say it's better than doing nothing.

Frankly, I'd just go out of the way and do the health food store and anything else in that direction a day or three sooner - easier to do!

BTW, I did find that the pharmacy in our local grocery store (Giant, similar to Safeway but not as widespread) carried probiotic powder w/o a prescription. I had to ask for it, but they had it in a box. This was back before I knew to refrigerate the stuff, though...  :-\ :-\ :-\ Anyway, if yours has them as well, a special trip might not be necessary.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 11:47:25 am »
Totally agree with Deb here - the Yo Baby tastes good but is loaded with sugar and that won't help a yeast problem. Yogurt is healthy and a good thing if baby likes it (although I stick with plain organic yogurt and just add fruit puree - I don't like the added sugars in Yo Baby) but the probiotics straight will help her digestive system more - maybe yogurt later to just maintain things? Also read the label on the probiotics carefully and ask the person at the health store for help - many have trace amounts of dairy and you will want a dairy free one. Two choices that come to mind are Udo's Choice and Nature's Way - both make a special probiotic powder for infants.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 12:38:48 pm »
hi there
just thought i would share my two cents since i have a son on proboitics and i also give him yoghurt.......i give him the activia yoghurt as it is better re: the probiotics and it has better more infant flavours - i buy the prune and peach with fibre kind - keeps my son regular as well as a snack he absolutely loves...... there is also an apple with muesli that is good for them.........just a note re the yoghurt and milk intol as well i am milk intol and my ds we think has some allergies as hubby and i both do......anyway to the point...... the lactose in yoghurt is partially digested and broken down by the bacteria....lots of people who are intolerant can eat yoghurt but can't have the actual milk for this reason......hope that helps

can u see a naturopath?? this may help and it is a place you can get the probiotics from as well............ds just finished his regime to repair his gut wall lining from and damage an intolerance or allergy may have had

good luck

sarah

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 12:58:22 pm »
My nickel's worth:  DD is somewhat lactose intolerant.  She can do yogurt and cheese, that's it. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.