Author Topic: Takes forever to fall asleep  (Read 1483 times)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Takes forever to fall asleep
« on: August 24, 2006, 02:26:49 am »
Just wondering if this is something I need to "fix" or if it's just because of his personality.  DS (who is 18 mo) will not fall sleep right away. He gets a wind-down every night where we read several books with him (trying to make it to approximately 15 min), he brushes his teeth and goes into his crib. However, he fusses and complains for a little while. Sometimes he calls out to us and then asks for milk or water (I know he doesn't always need the drink). Then he'll sit and play, talk, complain, sing for about an hour (sometimes more :o sometimes less). It's rare for him to quickly go to sleep.

His bedtime is 8ish pm and his 1 nap is in the middle of the day for 2 hours.

DH's mom sent us some homeopathic supplement for hyperactivity or mental unrest, which is what she thinks it is. It's safe to take these so I've tried on several occassions, for naps or bedtime, but I see no difference (and he just likes taking them 'cause they're fun to chew).

Should I push his bedtime up?  Do you think his nap is too long?  Do you think I should just leave things as they are?  Any suggestions? I've been trying to find some sort of answer in the BW books but can't find any. I've also been trying to figure out dd's feeding issues and don't have the time to read every single page again.

TIA!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline LisaM

• Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Takes forever to fall asleep
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:16:38 am »
Hi

I don't have an answer (sorry) but just wanted to say that dd who is 27 months old also takes normally about an hour to go off to sleep.  We hardly ever have to go back in to her she just chats, sings etc to herself until she eventually goes quiet.  She goes through stages and sometimes will go out like a light for a while then back to this chatting etc.  This only happened once the summer light evenings started though so she may be different when the clocks change again.  I prefer it when she does sleep quickly as I can't relax till she goes off plus got baby arriving in few weeks time and worry that will be hard trying to get baby to sleep with dd shouting and singing!!

I hope someone has some suggestions for you.

Offline Mum to cool dude

• Seven Of Nine
  • Showing Appreciation 52
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 12:45:46 pm »
We have been having the same issue here and it's a problem because a) DS doesn't want to be left alone in his bedroom whilst he settles and b) he's really pushing his bedtime - 9.30 pm to 10 pm  :o

But if bedtime is reasonable in your case, your DS is getting enough sleep and not getting overtired and he doesn't seem distressed when he's alone in his bed winding down, then IMO it's not an issue and I would let things be personally

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 14:30:30 pm »
My daughter does the same.  I've done everything ot try to change it, but I can't so I let it go.  What time does your son wake up? 

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 14:32:30 pm »
What time is the nap in the middle of the day and when you say his bedtime is 8 is that when he falls asleep or is he in bed at 8 and asleep at 9?  When is wakeup? It may be that his schedule is a bit off and tweaking that might help.  

If the schedule is fine though it may just be a personality thing at this age.  I think for many toddlers a long wind down is just part of the process. My 24 mo old dd has for a long time needed about 30-45 minutes of chattering away to herself to fall asleep but that is after at least 30 to 45 minutes of wind down already!  She is spirited and seems to need the extra time at night to process her day. She also tries to delay the inevitable by wanting bandages put on eventhough she has no booboos--her equivalent of your son asking for water etc.  As long as ds seems well rested and is sleeping through the night there may be nothing that you can--or should--change.

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 15:27:42 pm »
My ds wakes up around 8:15-8:30 am every day, so he's getting enough sleep.  His nap is usually around 12-1 pm, though lately by the time he falls asleep it ends up being 2 pm. His wind down is only about 15-20 min so I'm sure he needs more time to unwind.

I'm not worried because he does get enough rest and, as long as he's in his crib, I have nothing to worry about. (Besides, it gives me more "Y" time or time with the other baby.) The problem will come when it's time to put him in a regular bed. I can only imagine what that's gonna be like!  :o ::)

LisaM, will the 2 little ones share a room?  I recommend a white noise machine to help drown the noise of the other (that's what I use, and I have it set to either "rain" or "waterfall").
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 15:29:20 pm by GG »

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 18:01:49 pm »
If he's waking around 8:30 then he probably just isn't ready to fall asleep before 9 and same thing with his nap--there's usualy 5.5 to 6 hours before nap so an 8 to 8:30 wakeup would put it around 2 or 2:30 so it sounds like his schedule is fine and he's getting lots of sleep. 

Have you tried putting him down later?  Does that change anything?  With my dd, it doesn't help, she still needs the long wind down but you could try maybe putting him down 15 minutes later to see if he still falls asleep at the same time.

Regarding the big bed, if you don't need his crib for the other baby, I'd keep him in it as long as you can--that's what I'm planning on doing.  Who knows what they'll be up to then!

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 18:34:14 pm »
Have you tried putting him down later?  Does that change anything?  With my dd, it doesn't help, she still needs the long wind down but you could try maybe putting him down 15 minutes later to see if he still falls asleep at the same time.

It's only been recently that he's even been able to go 4 or more hours awake in the morning. He used to be ready for a nap just 3 hours after waking up but was able to stay awake 6-7 hours in the afternoon! (weird, I know, but true)  I've tried letting him stay up until 2 pm but he gets very cranky. I try to go by his cues and noonish-1 pm seems to be the time he needs to nap.

As for the crib, we bought another one for the baby so we're not going to take him out of his anytime soon. I can tell he's not close to being ready.

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2006, 02:18:04 am »
I agree with Sophie, if he's not distressed, he's fine in his crib.  Dave does that, too.  There are crib parties around here that shake the house:  rattling the crib sides, jingling the panda, singing, yelling "dadadada",  screaching, running circles in the crib... I could go on forever.  We've even sent out invites to the other babies on the site for his 3-5am parties.  A lot of playing, then he's right back to sleep.  I put him down at the same time every night and about the same time for naps, that way I know he's tired and ready for bed even if he plays first.  I am just SO HAPPY that he's not crying before every nap like he used to.  ;D  It's nice to have a happy baby.

It's so funny because even though Dave is only 13 months, I was just going to post about the big bed and how in the world is he going to stay in bed if he's so used to running around the crib.  I've decided not to worry for a while.  Nice to know other babies are into crib parties, too.  ;)

Offline GG

• Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 02:39:09 am »
Crib parties... *hahaha*  Good one.

Imsmum, how cute about the bandages!  ;D

Btw, Kim... my ds has the same shirt as yours in the avatar. How funny would it have been if you had met us at the zoo and they were both wearing that same shirt?  ;)

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 13:19:26 pm »
Okay, that's just eerie.  My avitar picture is from the zoo.  (Brookfield, though.)