Author Topic: My 4 month old wakes every 2 hours....... why oh why :(  (Read 794 times)

Offline waffler

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • Mummy get Nemo off me!
My 4 month old wakes every 2 hours....... why oh why :(
« on: August 24, 2006, 08:07:26 am »
Our DD used to sleep rather well at night with 1-2 night wakings. But in the last 3 wks things have changed. She wakes every 2 horus now. I need help to try to understand whats going on, so here goes :

How old is your child? 5 MONTHS BUT BORN A MONTH EARLY, SO ONLY 4 MONTHS IN REALITY
What’s his/her daily routine? ON A 3 HOUR EASY NOW. EVERYDAY WE TRY TO PUT DOWN FOR NAPS BUT THEY DONT LAST LONG , 45 MINS IF LUCKY. ENDS WITH A BEDTIME AT 6.30 PM
What’s nap routine? AT SIGNS OF SLEEPYNESS, TAKE TO ROOM, READ BOOK, PUT LULLABY MUSIC, DRAW CURTAINS, SWADDLE (AT THIS POINT SHE CRIES), PATSHUSH TILL 90% ASLEEP AND PUT DOWN. SHE WONT SLEEP FOR LONGER THAN THAT AND IS A VERY DIFFICULT BABY TO SOOTHE WITHOUT PICKING UP
How long are naps? 45 MINS IS GOOD FOR US!!!
What's bedtime routine? Time? MASSAGE, BATH, FEED TILL FALLS ASLEEP THEN PUT IN BED. THIS OCCURS NORMALLY AT 6.30 PM
Do you bottle or breastfed?? BREASTFEED
How much? or how long? SINCE DAY ONE. ON A 3 HOUR EASY THERE ARE 5 FEEDS DURING THE DAY
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) NORMALLY BOTH SIDES. BUT SHE IS GETTING VERY DISTRACTED NOW AND IS DIFFICUTL TO GET HER TO FEED ON BOTH WELL.
How many wakes per night? USED TO BE 1-2, BUT LATELY ITS BEEN 4-5.....
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? SHE STARTS GRUMBLING, THEN FULL BLOWN CRY. HAVE TO GO IN. When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? SHE'S CRYING
What have you tried to settle?? AND THESE LAST FEW DAYS I'VE BEEN DOING THE ONLY THING TO KEEP ME SANE - FEED HER. SHE CRIES THE COUGH LIKE HUNGRY CRY WHICH MAKES ME THINK SHE'S HUNGRY. BUT ONLY SNACKS THEN FALLS ASLEEP ON THE BREAST. IF MY HUSBAND GOES IN HE PICKS HER UP AND PATSHUSH TILL ASLEEP THEN PUTS IN COT.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? A TIME IS JUST PLAYING AND TAKING WALKS IN THE GARDEN. DONT GIVE HER TOO MANY STIMULATING THINGS AT ONCE. LASTS AN HOUR TO 1.5 HOURS, ALL DEPENDS ON HOW TIRED SHE GETS.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? NONE SO FAR
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) NOT APPLICABLE
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? BREASTFEEDING
Do they have a lovie? NO

I know we have an issue with not putting her down to bed awake. Believe me, we've tried, and it's just near impossible to settle her. Last week we decided that perhaps it was time for some form of "controlled crying" (walk in e3very 5 mins to reassure her) because she was too young for PU/PD. she cried a full 2 hours and was still awake so i went in to feed her wrecked with guilt. Not going to do CC anymore and want to do PUPD but want to wait till she turns 4months corrected on the 28th august.

One note - she had reflux, and seemed to be fine. On docs advice we weaned her off her meds, and actually, the day we didnt give her any meds before bed was when the night wakings started... coincidence? She doesnt appear to be in any pain, and doesnt throw up anymore, and can lie flat on her back (she doesnt sleep elevated anymore).

So, I know we have many issues to deal with but think perhaps this one needs to be dealt with soon. She's been waking every 2 hours for the last couple weeks.... and I can't take it anymore. I nearly hit rock bottom this morning when after I left her room at 5.30 am, she then woke at 6.15 am.... I am so sleep deprived it's affecting me big time.
Dad/Husband : Matt
Mum/Wife : (Ali)
Daugher : Mira (28th March 2006)
Daughter : Lara (31 July 2009)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: My 4 month old wakes every 2 hours....... why oh why :(
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 22:48:56 pm »
So sorry things are on the tough side! I see a few things though that hopefully will help you. And GOOD FOR YOU for deciding against CC! You made the right choice.  ;)

Sounds like you already know that the feeding to sleep is a prop, and putting her down asleep is not conducive to independent sleep. It is hard work, I won't lie, but to end these wakings and make both of you happier it's time to teach her independent sleep. This means not feeding to sleep and putting her down awake, or at least partially awake. She is old enough now for PU/PD, have you tried yet?

I would also work on extending those naps. She is probably caught in a cycle of overtiredness. Wake to sleep or PU/PD are good techniques. \

Quote (selected)
One note - she had reflux, and seemed to be fine. On docs advice we weaned her off her meds, and actually, the day we didnt give her any meds before bed was when the night wakings started... coincidence? She doesnt appear to be in any pain, and doesnt throw up anymore, and can lie flat on her back (she doesnt sleep elevated anymore).

I would not assume that this is a coincidence. It could be worth elevating one end of her mattress to see if that would help.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o